ANNOUNCE: nyan-cat-chef-formatter


#1

It is with great pleasure that I announce the release of the most useful
piece of software dedicated to a fictional cat, ever!

Blame a long train ride, and a day full of meetings and no coding at all.
Or blame Matt Sears for the inspiration. Or just blame me for being silly.

But here it is: the most stylish Chef formatter so far. And it does exactly
what you think: show an animated Nyan Cat, with his or her trademark
rainbow, that is animated to show the progress of your Chef run.
Note: whether or not you get 60fps is up to you.

Look for it on GH https://github.com/andreacampi/nyan-cat-chef-formatter or
grab it from rubygems while it’s hot!

Andrea


#2

Massive :thumbsup: for Andrea!

I’ve already received a request to implement this as fast as possible.

I think it might be very important for developer happiness to
incorporate this into Vagrant environments, so during a provision
phase (which happens very frequently) we can have Moar Awesome Fun!

-Mike

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Andrea Campi
andrea.campi@zephirworks.com wrote:

It is with great pleasure that I announce the release of the most useful
piece of software dedicated to a fictional cat, ever!

Blame a long train ride, and a day full of meetings and no coding at all. Or
blame Matt Sears for the inspiration. Or just blame me for being silly.

But here it is: the most stylish Chef formatter so far. And it does exactly
what you think: show an animated Nyan Cat, with his or her trademark
rainbow, that is animated to show the progress of your Chef run.
Note: whether or not you get 60fps is up to you.

Look for it on GH https://github.com/andreacampi/nyan-cat-chef-formatter or
grab it from rubygems while it’s hot!

Andrea


#3

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Mike miketheman@gmail.com wrote:

Massive :thumbsup: for Andrea!

I’ve already received a request to implement this as fast as possible.

I think it might be very important for developer happiness to
incorporate this into Vagrant environments, so during a provision
phase (which happens very frequently) we can have Moar Awesome Fun!

Great minds think alike, I was going to look at test-kitchen next! :slight_smile:


#4

nyan nyan nyan nyan

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Andrea Campi
andrea.campi@zephirworks.com wrote:

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Mike miketheman@gmail.com wrote:

Massive :thumbsup: for Andrea!

I’ve already received a request to implement this as fast as possible.

I think it might be very important for developer happiness to
incorporate this into Vagrant environments, so during a provision
phase (which happens very frequently) we can have Moar Awesome Fun!

Great minds think alike, I was going to look at test-kitchen next! :slight_smile:


#5

Sean - Thanks! I’ve tested, and there’s a bug I fixed in a pull on
your repo. I also added some stuff to the readme.

This also exposed a desire for a formatter setting for a Vagrantfile
option, currently not available, so I’ve submitted a vagrant patch for
formatters.

Andrea - The problem I foresee in the formatter approach is that the
way vagrant sends back result to the operator shell it may not work.

Glad to work on figuring this out.

-Mike

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Sean OMeara someara@gmail.com wrote:

nyan nyan nyan nyan

https://github.com/someara/nyan-cat-cookbook

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Andrea Campi
andrea.campi@zephirworks.com wrote:

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Mike miketheman@gmail.com wrote:

Massive :thumbsup: for Andrea!

I’ve already received a request to implement this as fast as possible.

I think it might be very important for developer happiness to
incorporate this into Vagrant environments, so during a provision
phase (which happens very frequently) we can have Moar Awesome Fun!

Great minds think alike, I was going to look at test-kitchen next! :slight_smile:


#6

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Sean OMeara someara@gmail.com wrote:

nyan nyan nyan nyan

https://github.com/someara/nyan-cat-cookbook

That makes me happy :smiley:


#7

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Andrea Campi
andrea.campi@zephirworks.comwrote:

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Sean OMeara someara@gmail.com wrote:

nyan nyan nyan nyan

https://github.com/someara/nyan-cat-cookbook

That makes me happy :smiley:

You guys are all pretty awesome.

Bryan


#8

This is the power of Community :smiley:

One question arise: how long can we wait until we see the Psy formatter ?

2012/12/7 Andrea Campi andrea.campi@zephirworks.com

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Sean OMeara someara@gmail.com wrote:

nyan nyan nyan nyan

https://github.com/someara/nyan-cat-cookbook

That makes me happy :smiley:


#9

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Jorge Bianquetti jbianquetti@gmail.comwrote:

This is the power of Community :smiley:

One question arise: how long can we wait until we see the Psy formatter
?

Should be this one though, given the season and all: