Chef 0.10.0 is Now in Beta


#1

Chef 0.10.0 Beta is Released

Hello Chefs,
I just pushed beta gems of Chef 0.10.0 to rubygems.org. For the impatient:

Client Upgrade:

(sudo) gem install chef --pre

We do have a new external dependency for the server side, which we’ve already
packaged for Debian and Ubuntu. To upgrade your Chef server:

Server Upgrade for Ubuntu and Debian

Install Gecode From Opscode

echo “deb http://apt.opscode.com/ lsb_release -cs main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opscode.list
wget -qO - http://apt.opscode.com/packages@opscode.com.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libgecode-dev

Install Updated Gems

(sudo) gem install chef-server --pre

Highlights

Environments

Chef 0.10 allows you to model your deployment environments by restricting
available cookbooks and with per-environment run lists on roles. As part of this
feature, Chef server also now respects version constraints in cookbook
metadata. We’ll have more info about this feature in the release notes, but
until then you can check out the documentation here:
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Environments

Knife Plugin Support

Thanks to Eric Hodel and Ryan Davis, we now have support for plugins in knife.
To create or use a custom knife command, you simply place the code in
~/.chef/plugins/knife/COMMAND.rb and knife will automatically load your plugin.
And when you’ve got something you want to share, you can distribute it as a Ruby
gem.

As part of this feature, we’ve moved knife’s cloud subcommands to plugins. If
you’re trying out Chef 0.10.0, and depend on any of knife’s cloud support,
you’ll need to install the relevant plugins:

These are currently available as gems, so you can get these via gem install

Testing Chef 0.10

This is a beta release, so be sure to test extensively before you start using it
in a production role. As always, bug reports and experiences are very welcome.
File any bugs you find on http://tickets.opscode.com and feel free to ask
questions or share your thoughts on our IRC channel, irc.freenode.net#chef

Compatibility

Chef 0.9 Clients should run correctly against an 0.10 server, and all known
incompatibilities have been fixed. If you have an issue running 0.9 clients
against a 0.10 server, please file a bug report.

Opscode Platform Users

We have already deployed the first round of Chef 0.10-related improvements to
the Opscode Platform, so you’re free to begin using Chef 0.10 with the platform.

Happy Cooking!


Dan DeLeo


#2

More in-depth upgrade instructions are available here:

http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Upgrading+Chef+0.9.x+to+Chef+0.10.x

They are still in progress, any contributions are welcome.


Dan DeLeo
On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Daniel DeLeo wrote:

Chef 0.10.0 Beta is Released

Hello Chefs,
I just pushed beta gems of Chef 0.10.0 to rubygems.org. For the impatient:

Client Upgrade:

(sudo) gem install chef --pre

We do have a new external dependency for the server side, which we’ve already
packaged for Debian and Ubuntu. To upgrade your Chef server:

Server Upgrade for Ubuntu and Debian

Install Gecode From Opscode

echo “deb http://apt.opscode.com/ lsb_release -cs main” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opscode.list
wget -qO - http://apt.opscode.com/packages@opscode.com.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libgecode-dev

Install Updated Gems

(sudo) gem install chef-server --pre

Highlights

Environments

Chef 0.10 allows you to model your deployment environments by restricting
available cookbooks and with per-environment run lists on roles. As part of this
feature, Chef server also now respects version constraints in cookbook
metadata. We’ll have more info about this feature in the release notes, but
until then you can check out the documentation here:
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Environments

Knife Plugin Support

Thanks to Eric Hodel and Ryan Davis, we now have support for plugins in knife.
To create or use a custom knife command, you simply place the code in
~/.chef/plugins/knife/COMMAND.rb and knife will automatically load your plugin.
And when you’ve got something you want to share, you can distribute it as a Ruby
gem.

As part of this feature, we’ve moved knife’s cloud subcommands to plugins. If
you’re trying out Chef 0.10.0, and depend on any of knife’s cloud support,
you’ll need to install the relevant plugins:

These are currently available as gems, so you can get these via gem install

Testing Chef 0.10

This is a beta release, so be sure to test extensively before you start using it
in a production role. As always, bug reports and experiences are very welcome.
File any bugs you find on http://tickets.opscode.com and feel free to ask
questions or share your thoughts on our IRC channel, irc.freenode.net#chef

Compatibility

Chef 0.9 Clients should run correctly against an 0.10 server, and all known
incompatibilities have been fixed. If you have an issue running 0.9 clients
against a 0.10 server, please file a bug report.

Opscode Platform Users

We have already deployed the first round of Chef 0.10-related improvements to
the Opscode Platform, so you’re free to begin using Chef 0.10 with the platform.

Happy Cooking!


Dan DeLeo


#3

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

Chef 0.10.0 Beta is Released

We do have a new external dependency for the server side, which we’ve
already
packaged for Debian and Ubuntu. To upgrade your Chef server:
# Server Upgrade for Ubuntu and Debian
## Install Gecode From Opscode ##

Anyone got this running on RHEL/CentOS yet? Even better, anyone made
an rpm for gecode?

KC


#4

We have been working on the rpms for gecode. We currently have 32 and 64 bit
versions for RHEL / CentOS 5 and a 32 bit version for FC13. We’ll be
finishing up the 64 bit version for FC13.

These will be at rpm.aegisco.com when complete.

We haven’t installed 0.10.0 beta, however.

James

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM, KC Braunschweig
kcbraunschweig@gmail.comwrote:

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

Chef 0.10.0 Beta is Released

We do have a new external dependency for the server side, which we’ve
already
packaged for Debian and Ubuntu. To upgrade your Chef server:
# Server Upgrade for Ubuntu and Debian
## Install Gecode From Opscode ##

Anyone got this running on RHEL/CentOS yet? Even better, anyone made
an rpm for gecode?

KC


#5

gecode and gecode-devel have been rebuilt without qt/gist support for fc13,
fc14, rhel 5 and centos 5 (rpm.aegisco.com).

The repo and spec files are in the appropriate directories on
rpm.aegisco.com.

ruby 1.8.7 and rubygems 1.6.2 for fc13 and fc14 are up as well.

We’re having a lot of trouble with building ruby 1.8.7 packages on CentOS /
RHEL 5. Is anyone aware of one already built?

Please report back any progress you have on building a 0.10.0 server on any
of these platforms.

James


#6

I’ve been pimping FPM as an alternative lately. It won’t build you a
valid replacement RPM for 1.8.6 (i.e. cleanly upgrade). What I do is
just never bother to install the 1.8.6 repo and install the FPM
generated one from bootstrap:

FPM - https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm
Scripts - https://github.com/lusis/fpm-scripts/tree/master/centos55/x86_64/ruby-1.9.2p180
My bootstrap template - https://gist.github.com/881068

Mind you if you put the effort into the FPM process (break it into a
package structure that mirrors what RHEL/CentOS does - ruby-devel,
ruby-libs, ruby-rubygems) you could get a very clean replacement. My
version is just a monolithic package.

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM, James js@aegisco.com wrote:

gecode and gecode-devel have been rebuilt without qt/gist support for fc13,
fc14, rhel 5 and centos 5 (rpm.aegisco.com).
The repo and spec files are in the appropriate directories on
rpm.aegisco.com.
ruby 1.8.7 and rubygems 1.6.2 for fc13 and fc14 are up as well.
We’re having a lot of trouble with building ruby 1.8.7 packages on CentOS /
RHEL 5. Is anyone aware of one already built?
Please report back any progress you have on building a 0.10.0 server on any
of these platforms.
James


#7

Gecode, ruby, rubygems rpms for fc13, fc14, rhel 5 and centos 5 are
complete.

Status / Links:

http://blog.aegisco.com/index.php/2011/04/08/chef-0-10-pre-requisites-gecode-and-ruby-rpms/

James

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM, James js@aegisco.com wrote:

gecode and gecode-devel have been rebuilt without qt/gist support for fc13,
fc14, rhel 5 and centos 5 (rpm.aegisco.com).

The repo and spec files are in the appropriate directories on
rpm.aegisco.com.

ruby 1.8.7 and rubygems 1.6.2 for fc13 and fc14 are up as well.

We’re having a lot of trouble with building ruby 1.8.7 packages on CentOS /
RHEL 5. Is anyone aware of one already built?

Please report back any progress you have on building a 0.10.0 server on any
of these platforms.

James


#8

<3

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM, James js@aegisco.com wrote:

Gecode, ruby, rubygems rpms for fc13, fc14, rhel 5 and centos 5 are
complete.

Status / Links:

http://blog.aegisco.com/index.php/2011/04/08/chef-0-10-pre-requisites-gecode-and-ruby-rpms/

James
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM, James js@aegisco.com wrote:

gecode and gecode-devel have been rebuilt without qt/gist support for
fc13, fc14, rhel 5 and centos 5 (rpm.aegisco.com).
The repo and spec files are in the appropriate directories on
rpm.aegisco.com.
ruby 1.8.7 and rubygems 1.6.2 for fc13 and fc14 are up as well.
We’re having a lot of trouble with building ruby 1.8.7 packages on CentOS
/ RHEL 5. Is anyone aware of one already built?
Please report back any progress you have on building a 0.10.0 server on
any of these platforms.
James


Opscode, Inc.
Adam Jacob, Chief Product Officer
T: (206) 619-7151 E: adam@opscode.com


#9

Hi all,

I’ve added Chef client 0.10beta9 RPM packages and deps for both RHEL5
and RHEL6 distributions to the RBEL testing repo.

Installation instructions:

  1. Setup the repo, instructions there:

http://rbel.frameos.org

  1. yum install --enablerepo rbel5-testing rubygem-chef (use
    rbel6-testing repo for RHEL6)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Trying to upload the package sources to http://github.com/frameos in case
anyone is interested.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:51 PM, James js@aegisco.com wrote:

Gecode, ruby, rubygems rpms for fc13, fc14, rhel 5 and centos 5 are
complete.

Status / Links:

http://blog.aegisco.com/index.php/2011/04/08/chef-0-10-pre-requisites-gecode-and-ruby-rpms/

Next thing in my list is building packages for the Chef server.
Hopefully I’ll be able to reuse your packages
and build from there. Thanks!

Rgds.