Chef 0.10.10 and xp

Hello!

I’ve just try to run chef-client on windows xp - and it failed with error “Function ‘QuerySecurityAccessMask’ not found in [advapi32]”. From what I’ve read in CHEF-2887 you won’t support xp anymore.

That’s sad news :frowning: More than a half of computers managed by my company are running xp - and there is small chance to change it anytime soon. So any chances to change your mind and add support of xp?

Best regards

Grzegorz Marszałek
graf0@post.pl

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Grzegorz Marszałek graf0@post.pl wrote:

I've just try to run chef-client on windows xp - and it failed with error "Function 'QuerySecurityAccessMask' not found in [advapi32]". From what I've read in CHEF-2887 you won't support xp anymore.

That's sad news :frowning: More than a half of computers managed by my company are running xp - and there is small chance to change it anytime soon. So any chances to change your mind and add support of xp?

The work that we did for Chef 0.10.10 to provide support for Windows
ACLs isn't supported on XP. A contributor is welcome to write a patch
to provide a clean alternative for XP that implements the same
features, but Opscode doesn't plan to ourselves.

--
Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager, open source
(c) 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org

Wiadomość napisana przez Bryan McLellan w dniu 2012-05-14, o godz. 19:07:

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Grzegorz Marszałek graf0@post.pl wrote:

I've just try to run chef-client on windows xp - and it failed with error "Function 'QuerySecurityAccessMask' not found in [advapi32]". From what I've read in CHEF-2887 you won't support xp anymore.

That's sad news :frowning: More than a half of computers managed by my company are running xp - and there is small chance to change it anytime soon. So any chances to change your mind and add support of xp?

The work that we did for Chef 0.10.10 to provide support for Windows
ACLs isn't supported on XP. A contributor is welcome to write a patch
to provide a clean alternative for XP that implements the same
features, but Opscode doesn't plan to ourselves.

Thanks for info.

I'll try to write patch for that. I've managed to run chef on windows just by commenting few ffi exported functions, which are not available on xp. But that just start.

By the way - awesome release :slight_smile: Windows file security support really makes diffirence :slight_smile:

Grzegorz Marszałek
graf0@post.pl