Chef 0.9 patches to support new features of rubygems 1.8.x?


#1

Just subscribed to these lists – I apologize if I have the incorrect list… I was told by one of your comrades in #chef that the lists would be the best place to ask this question.

We’re in the process of upgrading our rails stacks to support rubygems 1.8.x – but we’re still on 0.9 chef which is still using the now-deprecated and soon-to-be-dead SourceIndex API. What we’d like to do is submit patches to resolve the outstanding issues in a portable way (so they’ll still be compatible with 1.3+, but not raise the warning with 1.8.x), but obviously this would merit a new release.

Judging from our use of opscode hosted chef, you guys haven’t completely EOL’d chef 0.9 yet; would these patches be something you’d be willing to consider? Our team has two rubygems committers on it, so I think we’ll be able to satisfy any concerns you might have.

We understand there are contributor agreements involved, this is more about pushing for a new release and getting permission for the patches, etc.

Thanks!

-Erik


#2

On Monday, November 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Erik Hollensbe wrote:

Just subscribed to these lists – I apologize if I have the incorrect list… I was told by one of your comrades in #chef that the lists would be the best place to ask this question.

We’re in the process of upgrading our rails stacks to support rubygems 1.8.x – but we’re still on 0.9 chef which is still using the now-deprecated and soon-to-be-dead SourceIndex API. What we’d like to do is submit patches to resolve the outstanding issues in a portable way (so they’ll still be compatible with 1.3+, but not raise the warning with 1.8.x), but obviously this would merit a new release.
This is also an issue for 0.10.x, as we do want to keep compatibility with RubyGems 1.3.x and haven’t looked into how to accomplish that yet. So a patch would certainly be welcome. There haven’t been many changes to the gem_package provider recently so I suspect the same patch would apply cleanly to both branches.

Judging from our use of opscode hosted chef, you guys haven’t completely EOL’d chef 0.9 yet; would these patches be something you’d be willing to consider? Our team has two rubygems committers on it, so I think we’ll be able to satisfy any concerns you might have.
The original plan was to continue supporting 0.9.x for 6 months after the release of 0.10.0; it has now been about that long. Unfortunately, we’ve not done a great job of communicating this, and we have some new information in the Hosted Chef usage data. I’ll talk to the team and get a decision about this.

We understand there are contributor agreements involved, this is more about pushing for a new release and getting permission for the patches, etc.

Thanks!

-Erik


Dan DeLeo


#3

On Nov 21, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Daniel DeLeo wrote:

On Monday, November 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Erik Hollensbe wrote:

Just subscribed to these lists – I apologize if I have the incorrect list… I was told by one of your comrades in #chef that the lists would be the best place to ask this question.

We’re in the process of upgrading our rails stacks to support rubygems 1.8.x – but we’re still on 0.9 chef which is still using the now-deprecated and soon-to-be-dead SourceIndex API. What we’d like to do is submit patches to resolve the outstanding issues in a portable way (so they’ll still be compatible with 1.3+, but not raise the warning with 1.8.x), but obviously this would merit a new release.
This is also an issue for 0.10.x, as we do want to keep compatibility with RubyGems 1.3.x and haven’t looked into how to accomplish that yet. So a patch would certainly be welcome. There haven’t been many changes to the gem_package provider recently so I suspect the same patch would apply cleanly to both branches.

Excellent! I’ll see what I can do about getting you something RSN, probably this week or the next if I get my way. :slight_smile:

Judging from our use of opscode hosted chef, you guys haven’t completely EOL’d chef 0.9 yet; would these patches be something you’d be willing to consider? Our team has two rubygems committers on it, so I think we’ll be able to satisfy any concerns you might have.
The original plan was to continue supporting 0.9.x for 6 months after the release of 0.10.0; it has now been about that long. Unfortunately, we’ve not done a great job of communicating this, and we have some new information in the Hosted Chef usage data. I’ll talk to the team and get a decision about this.

Thanks!

-Erik