Chef 11 Released!


#1

We’re really excited to have released Chef 11!

This release includes a new Erlang based server which operates at great scale. Cycle Computing recently ran over 10,000 nodes against one Chef 11 server. [1]

The client will continue to be Ruby, and has many improvements itself, including:

  • many windows improvements
  • partial templates
  • chef-apply, a tool to run a single cookbook against a system
  • run list based cookbook file evaluation order
  • substantial improvements on node attributes and precedence handling

You can read the release notes here: http://bit.ly/WM2EW2

You can download both the client and the server at http://www.opscode.com/chef/install

We also announced Facebook’s use of Chef today. They will be speaking at ChefConf, if you’re interested in operating infrastructure at huge scale, it’s a talk you don’t want to miss.


http://chefconf.opscode.com/


Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager, open source
© 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org

[1] http://www.opscode.com/press-releases/opscode-unleashes-new-generation-of-chef/


#2

The most recent patchlevel of the Chef Server is 11.0.4, which includes these important fixes:

CHEF-3818 - chef-server-webui is susceptible to recent Rail’s YAML exploit
CHEF-3813 - Server does not return cookbook dependencies in metadata

The latest version of the packages is available at http://www.opscode.com/chef/install


Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager, open source
© 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org


#3

Bryan,

I know you’re all keen on this Omnibus buildout now, but I really do
hope you are going to continue to release pure gems on rubygems.org. We
use this to baseline our chef RPM’s.

There was some major chaos at rubygems.org over the weekend with an
untrusted/hacked mirror within their cluster that’s caused a plethora of
change to their internal infrastructre (actually moving the back-end to
S3, forcing/redirecting to https for downloads etc) - but I think
they’re good to go.

There’s a chef-11.0.0 gem there, but none of the server-side packages.

Best regards,
Alan

On 02/05/2013 01:01 PM, Bryan McLellan wrote:

The most recent patchlevel of the Chef Server is 11.0.4, which includes these important fixes:

CHEF-3818 - chef-server-webui is susceptible to recent Rail’s YAML exploit
CHEF-3813 - Server does not return cookbook dependencies in metadata

The latest version of the packages is available at http://www.opscode.com/chef/install


Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager, open source
© 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org


#4

On 2/4/13 10:30 PM, “Alan Milligan” alan.milligan@last-bastion.net wrote:

There’s a chef-11.0.0 gem there, but none of the server-side packages.

Alan, this isn’t really possible. Given that the new server isn’t written
in ruby, creating a gem package of it makes no sense. If it’s RPMs you’re
after, we recommend the Omnibus builds, for maximum ease of management,
deployment, and installation.

Otherwise, you’ll need to start making legitimate RPM spec files, and
getting the dependency chain right.

Best,
Adam


#5

Alan: might be a bit of work, but if the ops code provided rpms do not
cover your needs, you could use the omnibus build system and modify it to
build to your spec…
On Feb 5, 2013 2:02 AM, “Adam Jacob” adam@opscode.com wrote:

On 2/4/13 10:30 PM, “Alan Milligan” alan.milligan@last-bastion.net
wrote:

There’s a chef-11.0.0 gem there, but none of the server-side packages.

Alan, this isn’t really possible. Given that the new server isn’t written
in ruby, creating a gem package of it makes no sense. If it’s RPMs you’re
after, we recommend the Omnibus builds, for maximum ease of management,
deployment, and installation.

Otherwise, you’ll need to start making legitimate RPM spec files, and
getting the dependency chain right.

Best,
Adam


#6

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Adam Jacob adam@opscode.com wrote:

Otherwise, you’ll need to start making legitimate RPM spec files, and
getting the dependency chain right.

There are more than a few people working toward producing upstream
packages for Fedora. I suggest you join them.

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-522
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/OHAI-118

They’re pretty close for Chef 10, but were blocking on getting
yajl-ruby to not have to vendor yajl [1].

They’ll probably need help sorting out the dependency tree for the new
erlang based server.

Bryan

[1] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/OHAI-118?focusedCommentId=31732&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-31732


#7

Bryan,

We’ve had (and been doing that) for about two years. We are just about
to ship/promote a fully managed service around our BastionLinux
distro/patch managemen (and RHEL) t, Chef configuration managment, and
Zenoss monitoring/management.

All power to Chef 11 - and I’m more than happy to give up a couple of
days on a spurious/deprecated CouchDB ZenPack, but forgive me for being
less than excited about anything in Fedora land.

Alan

On 02/06/2013 12:47 AM, Bryan McLellan wrote:

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM, Adam Jacobadam@opscode.com wrote:

Otherwise, you’ll need to start making legitimate RPM spec files, and
getting the dependency chain right.
There are more than a few people working toward producing upstream
packages for Fedora. I suggest you join them.

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-522
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/OHAI-118

They’re pretty close for Chef 10, but were blocking on getting
yajl-ruby to not have to vendor yajl [1].

They’ll probably need help sorting out the dependency tree for the new
erlang based server.

Bryan

[1] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/OHAI-118?focusedCommentId=31732&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-31732


#8

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Alan Milligan
alan.milligan@last-bastion.net wrote:

All power to Chef 11 - and I’m more than happy to give up a couple of days
on a spurious/deprecated CouchDB ZenPack, but forgive me for being less than
excited about anything in Fedora land.

I’m sure they’d appreciate the help regardless of which RPM based
distribution you plan on using it on.

Bryan