Chef Client 12.4.0 Release Candidate


#1

Ohai Chefs!

We’ve just released the first Release Candidate for Chef 12.4.0. A more
detailed blog post will be available with the final release, however for
now, some of the highlights from the release notes [1] are below:

  • Integrated Syslog/Windows Event Log logging
  • Fixed exception handlers

For more information on these changes, see the release notes [1]. For a
more complete list of changes, see the changelog [2]

We’d love to get your feedback on this RC. There are many ways to get it:

As always, if you run into any problems, please file them on Github [3].
Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/chef/chef/blob/12.4.0rc/RELEASE_NOTES.md
[2] https://github.com/chef/chef/blob/12.4.0rc/CHANGELOG.md
[3] https://github.com/chef/chef/issues/new


#2

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Thom May thom@chef.io wrote:

We’ve just released the first Release Candidate for Chef 12.4.0. A more
detailed blog post will be available with the final release, however for
now, some of the highlights from the release notes [1] are below:

Are you planning on cutting the final release off the tag now instead of
using a release branch, so that master isn’t frozen?

Bryan


#3

I was planning on cutting the final release off the tag, yes. But we’re
going to have to do at least one more RC because of #3416 (and I’d like to
take a couple of audit mode clean ups, too), so the chances are I’ll just
repeat this cycle from HEAD for RC1. Master should not be considered frozen
regardless.
-Thom

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Bryan McLellan btm@loftninjas.org wrote:

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Thom May thom@chef.io wrote:

We’ve just released the first Release Candidate for Chef 12.4.0. A more
detailed blog post will be available with the final release, however for
now, some of the highlights from the release notes [1] are below:

Are you planning on cutting the final release off the tag now instead of
using a release branch, so that master isn’t frozen?

Bryan


#4

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Thom May thom@chef.io wrote:

I was planning on cutting the final release off the tag, yes. But we’re
going to have to do at least one more RC because of #3416 (and I’d like to
take a couple of audit mode clean ups, too), so the chances are I’ll just
repeat this cycle from HEAD for RC1. Master should not be considered frozen
regardless.

Okay, Serdar was asking about #3358 getting in, which is audit mode
related. I’ve just merged it to master in a merge pass.

Bryan


#5

Hi,
after finding some API changes and regressions, I’m very happy to announce
a second release candidate for Chef 12.4.0. We took the decision to catch
up to current master, so the list of changes going into this RC is quite
lengthy; I urge you to check out the release notes[1] and changelog[2] and
give this release a thorough test!

Some highlights are:

  • Integrated Syslog/Windows Event Log logging
  • Fixed exception handlers
  • WindowsPackage resource supports URLs
  • An awful lot of work on making writing resources and providers more
    cromulent

I should note I lost a fight with our CI system, so the version number here
is 12.4.0.rc.2, not .1 as the avid reader might expect.

For more information on these changes, see the release notes [1]. For a
more complete list of changes, see the changelog [2]

We’d love to get your feedback on this RC. There are many ways to get it:

As always, if you run into any problems, please file them on Github [3].
Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/chef/chef/blob/12.4.0.rc.2/RELEASE_NOTES.md
[2] https://github.com/chef/chef/blob/12.4.0.rc.2/CHANGELOG.md
[3] https://github.com/chef/chef/issues/new

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Thom May thom@chef.io wrote:

Ohai Chefs!

We’ve just released the first Release Candidate for Chef 12.4.0. A more
detailed blog post will be available with the final release, however for
now, some of the highlights from the release notes [1] are below:

  • Integrated Syslog/Windows Event Log logging
  • Fixed exception handlers

For more information on these changes, see the release notes [1]. For a
more complete list of changes, see the changelog [2]

We’d love to get your feedback on this RC. There are many ways to get it:

As always, if you run into any problems, please file them on Github [3].
Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/chef/chef/blob/12.4.0rc/RELEASE_NOTES.md
[2] https://github.com/chef/chef/blob/12.4.0rc/CHANGELOG.md
[3] https://github.com/chef/chef/issues/new