Configurable Global Resource or Provider behavior changes

Ohai Chefs!

This discussion is inspired by CHEF-3115 (http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3115)

There have been several instances where users have wanted the ability to modify resources/providers globally, such as adding a custom gem mirror to all gem_package resources, setting ENV variables for execute resources, or (as in this case) adding options to all user resources.

The two use cases for this feature (that I’m aware of) are to make community cookbooks work out of the box on different platforms (e.g., make NetBSD create a group for each user), or to reduce repetition in setting an option on every declaration of a given resource type (e.g., set your custom gem mirror in one place instead of on every gem_package resource).

We’d like feedback on a few questions:

1. How valuable is this feature? If you were using this, you’d need to look in several places (both the resource declaration in the recipe and wherever you’ve modified the default behaviors) to understand how Chef is going to change something on your system. And, of course, there would be added complexity in the code around defining and merging the defaults. Is the complexity worth it?

2. If you want this feature, where would you want to express your changes to the default behaviors? One similar feature we have in chef now is the ability to set the ps command used by Chef when a service provider cannot use an init script to determine if a service is running. The ps command would be modified by changing an attribute on the node itself. Personally, I think the node data is the wrong place to configure this sort of thing, so I’d favor putting it in the Chef config file, but there could be other ways.

Finally, I should note that we’re busy with lots of new feature work at Opscode, so there’s no guarantee about if or when we’d be able to commit any resources to implementing anything (assuming there’s interest and reasonable consensus).

Thanks,

Dan DeLeo