Cookbook Releases


#1

Hey all,

We’re still working through the backlog of COOK contributions from you, our awesome community. I cannot stress enough how much we appreciate the time and effort put into every ticket reported and pull request sent our way. This culture of sharing is truly awesome. If you’d like to participate in our community summit in October, there’s plenty of tickets available. Also, you can get in-person hugs if that’s your thing :-).

In addition to reviewing contributions from the community, we’re working to add basic test-kitchen support and clean up foodcritic warnings (at least for correctness) across our cookbooks. All cookbook testing prior to new releases will go through test-kitchen, so this is a very important project.

Anyway, we’ve released a few cookbooks over the past week or two, and more are on the way. Full details are available in the CHANGELOG.md of each cookbook, and the tickets mentioned. We would like to thank Tim Smith from WebTrends for his work on the nagios cookbook. Along with other contributors, he’s made a lot of great improvements to the cookbook and making it even more data driven through the Chef Server API. Thanks Tim!

apt 1.4.8

  • makes apt_repository idempotent for http key

couchdb 1.0.2

  • listen port is now an attribute

freebsd 0.0.4

  • resolve foodcritic warnings

memcached 1.0.4

  • fix dev package on centos6

motd-tail 1.1.0

  • additional info for MOTD

postfix 1.2.2

  • DKIM, domain attribute fix, procmail support, see changelog

nagios 1.3.0

  • various fixes for foodcritic warnings
  • uses “default” attributes instead of “set” (normal) in attributes files
  • service checks can be defined in data bags
  • hostgroup fixes
  • better cross platform support
  • see CHANGELOG.md for release information

windows 1.3.4

  • LWRP fixes for actions
  • zip file “zip” action
  • resolve Win32::Registry::Error
  • see CHANGELOG.md for release information

wix 1.0.2

  • updates version and download location

We have over 100 tickets that have been resolved and merged that need to be tested before release. We’re working on the test process and integrating support for test-kitchen along the way. We’ll also be closing old pull requests in the legacy monolithic cookbooks repository, so please do update those to the standalone repositories in opscode-cookbooks organization.

Thank you for contributing and participating, you all make Chef awesome!


Opscode, Inc
Joshua Timberman, Technical Program Manager
IRC, Skype, Twitter, Github: jtimberman


#2

On 30/08/12 12:05 AM, Joshua Timberman wrote:

We’re still working through the backlog of COOK contributions from you, our awesome community. I cannot stress enough how much we appreciate the time and effort put into every ticket reported and pull request sent our way. This culture of sharing is truly awesome. If you’d like to participate in our community summit in October, there’s plenty of tickets available. Also, you can get in-person hugs if that’s your thing :-).

In addition to reviewing contributions from the community, we’re working to add basic test-kitchen support and clean up foodcritic warnings (at least for correctness) across our cookbooks. All cookbook testing prior to new releases will go through test-kitchen, so this is a very important project.

Anyway, we’ve released a few cookbooks over the past week or two, and more are on the way. Full details are available in the CHANGELOG.md of each cookbook, and the tickets mentioned. We would like to thank Tim Smith from WebTrends for his work on the nagios cookbook. Along with other contributors, he’s made a lot of great improvements to the cookbook and making it even more data driven through the Chef Server API. Thanks Tim!

We have over 100 tickets that have been resolved and merged that need to be tested before release. We’re working on the test process and integrating support for test-kitchen along the way. We’ll also be closing old pull requests in the legacy monolithic cookbooks repository, so please do update those to the standalone repositories in opscode-cookbooks organization.

This is great! Really glad to hear about all the changes and focus on
adding automated testing for the cookbooks going forward. That kind of
focus is just amazing when it comes to cookbook changes getting merged
and immediate notification of unexpected changes.

I’m curious if it would be too much to ask for period updates to the
list about recent releases of cookbooks and the overview like you’ve
provided here? Perhaps it could happen every 2-3 weeks so it’s not a
huge burden.

Thanks!
Leif.


Leif Madsen


#3

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Leif Madsen
leif.madsen@asteriskdocs.org wrote:

I’m curious if it would be too much to ask for period updates to the list
about recent releases of cookbooks and the overview like you’ve provided
here? Perhaps it could happen every 2-3 weeks so it’s not a huge burden.

Can you be more specific about what you’re asking for? Are you looking
for something different than this? Joshua usually sends up updates
about cookbooks pretty regularly. Here was the last one on 8/6:

http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2012-08/msg00065.html

Bryan


#4

Lief,

For non-opscode managed cookbooks you can checkout the Food Fight
Show.http://foodfightshow.org
We list all updated cookbooks during each episode and include them in the
show notes.

-Nathen

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Bryan McLellan btm@loftninjas.org wrote:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Leif Madsen
leif.madsen@asteriskdocs.org wrote:

I’m curious if it would be too much to ask for period updates to the list
about recent releases of cookbooks and the overview like you’ve provided
here? Perhaps it could happen every 2-3 weeks so it’s not a huge burden.

Can you be more specific about what you’re asking for? Are you looking
for something different than this? Joshua usually sends up updates
about cookbooks pretty regularly. Here was the last one on 8/6:

http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2012-08/msg00065.html

Bryan


#5

On 30/08/12 09:58 AM, Bryan McLellan wrote:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Leif Madsen
leif.madsen@asteriskdocs.org wrote:

I’m curious if it would be too much to ask for period updates to the list
about recent releases of cookbooks and the overview like you’ve provided
here? Perhaps it could happen every 2-3 weeks so it’s not a huge burden.

Can you be more specific about what you’re asking for? Are you looking
for something different than this? Joshua usually sends up updates
about cookbooks pretty regularly. Here was the last one on 8/6:

http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2012-08/msg00065.html

Ya, I hadn’t been on the list long enough to see these. This is what I
was asking for, so yay! :slight_smile:

Leif.


Leif Madsen