FC001, attributes as strings vs symbols

Any update or results?

Ohai!

On Oct 30, 2012, at 1:36 AM, Alex Howells lists@howells.me wrote:

Any update or results?

Yes, in fact, there is both. The results are in, after two weeks of the survey being open:

To summarize the chart: 50.6% prefer symbols, 33.9% prefer strings and 15.5% prefer methods (dot notation). In my opinion, there isn't enough of difference to make foodcritic have a rule detecting any of these.

The update is, that along with discussion at the summit with several people, including Andrew Crump, the consensus is rule FC001 is low value because the difference isn't definitive. I created an issue and pull request removing FC001 from foodcritic.

This is merged. Thanks Andrew for that, and I'm sorry I missed the additional features.

The rule that does have value for a lint check is FC019, which states, "Access node attributes in a consistent manner."

--
Opscode, Inc
Joshua Timberman, Technical Community Manager
IRC, Skype, Twitter, Github: jtimberman

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Joshua Timberman joshua@opscode.comwrote:

On Oct 30, 2012, at 1:36 AM, Alex Howells lists@howells.me wrote:

Any update or results?

The rule that does have value for a lint check is FC019, which states,
"Access node attributes in a consistent manner."

That is applied on a cookbook by cookbook basis, correct? This will not
fail if I include another users cookbook that does things in a different
style as long as each cookbook is internally consistent.

--
Jeffrey Hulten
Principal Consultant at Automated Labs, LLC
jeffh@automatedlabs.com 206-853-5216

On Oct 31, 2012, at 3:05 PM, Jeffrey Hulten jeffh@automatedlabs.com wrote:

That is applied on a cookbook by cookbook basis, correct? This will not fail if I include another users cookbook that does things in a different style as long as each cookbook is internally consistent.

Correct. Foodcritic is scoped to each cookbook on its own. It will report warnings for all cookbooks in a directory, or just for a single cookbook if you specify only its directory.

--
Opscode, Inc
Joshua Timberman, Technical Community Manager
IRC, Skype, Twitter, Github: jtimberman