Have 37signals permanently withdrawn public cookbook repo?


#1

Have 37signals permanently withdrawn their public Chef cookbook
repository? If so, this seems an unfortunate loss, and I wonder
if anyone has a copy of their cookbooks that were licensed to
allow for redistribution. I frequently find their cookbooks
referenced on the Web, implying that they are useful and/or
examples of good work.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the applicable link on their open
source page
led to a nonexistent or unavailable GitHub
repo
. I “tweeted at them” about this, and though there was no
response, they removed the link from their site shortly
thereafter. The old version of that page is available via
Wayback Machine. I mentioned the loss a bit more publicly on
Twitter last week
, cc’ing @opscode, but have yet to find
anyone else discussing this, on Twitter or elsewhere, and there’s
no mention of it on their blog.

Resources:


Phil Mocek
http://mocek.org/


#2

That is unfortunate. I have a copy of the cookbooks that I pulled down
some time ago (they hadn’t been updated in several years). I’ll take a
look at the license and publish a mirror in the event that it’s allowable.


#3

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 09:10:13PM +0000, Larry Wright wrote:

I have a copy of the cookbooks that I pulled down some time ago
(they hadn’t been updated in several years). I’ll take a look at
the license and publish a mirror in the event that it’s
allowable.

Thanks in advance for that. I e-mailed Joshua Sierles (who
initially announced publication of their repository) directly
today. I’ll follow up here if and when I find more to report.

References:


Phil Mocek
http://mocek.org/


#4

Josh isn’t at 37Signals any more1, which may be way they were yanked (I seem to recall that he and Mark Imbriaco did a lot of that early Chef work at 37Signals).

Larry Wright
http://argonautlabs.com

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 01:18:23PM -0800, Phil Mocek wrote:

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 09:10:13PM +0000, Larry Wright wrote:

I have a copy of the cookbooks that I pulled down some time ago
(they hadn’t been updated in several years). I’ll take a look at
the license and publish a mirror in the event that it’s
allowable.

Thanks in advance for that. I e-mailed Joshua Sierles (who
initially announced publication of their repository) directly
today. I’ll follow up here if and when I find more to report.

References:


Phil Mocek
http://mocek.org/


#5

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 09:27:41PM +0000, Larry Wright wrote:

Josh isn’t at 37Signals any more1, which may be way they were
yanked (I seem to recall that he and Mark Imbriaco did a lot of
that early Chef work at 37Signals).

I see that Rubytune’s site links to jsierles’ chef_cookbooks
GitHub repo
, at which there is README with the following
attribution, “These cookbooks are based on those developed at
37signals, partially available at:
https://github.com/37signals/37s_cookbooks Authors: John Williams,
Mark Imbriaco, Taylor Weibley, Joshua Sierles and Will Jessop.”

References:


Phil Mocek
http://mocek.org/


#6

This might help…
An earlier version of github/cookbooks tracked different upstream
vendors’ (master branch I think) as a branch of the repo.
That has been changed, and now we track the repo separately as
-, see github.com/cookbooks/about for more
details

Anyway, if you know the cookbook name you might find we have a branch
with their master branch contents.

Example:

Branch 37s contains something.

Hope that helps?

Regards
Mark

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Phil Mocek phil-lists@mocek.org wrote:

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 09:27:41PM +0000, Larry Wright wrote:

Josh isn’t at 37Signals any more1, which may be way they were
yanked (I seem to recall that he and Mark Imbriaco did a lot of
that early Chef work at 37Signals).

I see that Rubytune’s site links to jsierles’ chef_cookbooks
GitHub repo
, at which there is README with the following
attribution, “These cookbooks are based on those developed at
37signals, partially available at:
https://github.com/37signals/37s_cookbooks Authors: John Williams,
Mark Imbriaco, Taylor Weibley, Joshua Sierles and Will Jessop.”

References:


Phil Mocek
http://mocek.org/