Incentivizing open source, possible bounty program?


#1

There are some Chef bugs that we’d really like to see fixed, but we’re
really tight on engineering resources at Opscode (want a job? [1]) and
they’re not going to get high enough on the priority for us to fix
them.

Take for instance CHEF-2346 [2] where when you scale the Open Source
Server up to a certain point, solr breaks. Figuring out why it broke
isn’t obvious, but once you do it is easy to get going again. The
solution could be simply increasing the max_field_length value, and
the ground work has been mostly laid for doing so. But there are
design questions around this, and that makes it harder to resolve.

Does anyone know of a successful bounty program, particularly other
than an altruistic one like GSoC?

Would you be incentivized if we began to offer double the hugs from
Adam Jacob in return for contributions instead of the regular single
hugs? Are hugs played out and you want something more?

Seriously, I don’t see much in the way of successful bounty programs
and lots of good arguments are out there as to why. So, what could I
offer /you/ to do a little more work on the project and feel rewarded?


Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager
© 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org

[1] http://www.opscode.com/careers/
[2] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2346


#2

I like to think that FOSS people take sabbaticals from time to time to work
on fun projects (or they would like to at some point).

Bounty programs helping this people to make a living and contributing while
on sabbatical is a great idea!

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Bryan McLellan btm@opscode.com wrote:

There are some Chef bugs that we’d really like to see fixed, but we’re
really tight on engineering resources at Opscode (want a job? [1]) and
they’re not going to get high enough on the priority for us to fix
them.

Take for instance CHEF-2346 [2] where when you scale the Open Source
Server up to a certain point, solr breaks. Figuring out why it broke
isn’t obvious, but once you do it is easy to get going again. The
solution could be simply increasing the max_field_length value, and
the ground work has been mostly laid for doing so. But there are
design questions around this, and that makes it harder to resolve.

Does anyone know of a successful bounty program, particularly other
than an altruistic one like GSoC?

Would you be incentivized if we began to offer double the hugs from
Adam Jacob in return for contributions instead of the regular single
hugs? Are hugs played out and you want something more?

Seriously, I don’t see much in the way of successful bounty programs
and lots of good arguments are out there as to why. So, what could I
offer /you/ to do a little more work on the project and feel rewarded?


Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager
© 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org

[1] http://www.opscode.com/careers/
[2] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2346


#3

There have been numerous times that I’ve had lulls in contract work and
wanted to work on Chef projects but been bound by rent/food to seek paying
projects. Offering even nominal compensation would be very helpful for
people like me.

I think a lot of people who are in college or just graduated are looking to
build a body of work, so offering recognition/discrete projects/an easy way
to highlight work they’ve done would be helpful for them.

I’m definitely a big fan of this. On a related topic, it would be really
great to get some sort of jobs / contract board up, because the amount of
inbound requests I get has increased significantly over the past few
months. There is a lot of demand there, and almost no one I know has
available capacity.

James

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Bryan McLellan btm@opscode.com wrote:

There are some Chef bugs that we’d really like to see fixed, but we’re
really tight on engineering resources at Opscode (want a job? [1]) and
they’re not going to get high enough on the priority for us to fix
them.

Take for instance CHEF-2346 [2] where when you scale the Open Source
Server up to a certain point, solr breaks. Figuring out why it broke
isn’t obvious, but once you do it is easy to get going again. The
solution could be simply increasing the max_field_length value, and
the ground work has been mostly laid for doing so. But there are
design questions around this, and that makes it harder to resolve.

Does anyone know of a successful bounty program, particularly other
than an altruistic one like GSoC?

Would you be incentivized if we began to offer double the hugs from
Adam Jacob in return for contributions instead of the regular single
hugs? Are hugs played out and you want something more?

Seriously, I don’t see much in the way of successful bounty programs
and lots of good arguments are out there as to why. So, what could I
offer /you/ to do a little more work on the project and feel rewarded?


Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager
© 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org

[1] http://www.opscode.com/careers/
[2] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2346


#4

I would love admission and travel expenses for a Chef or Devops conference.
Obviously I wouldn’t expect that for a single bug fix, but if there was a
points system, and you could get something like that with a certain number
of points, that would be great. (Hey, if you never ask…)

Ann Marie

From: Bryan McLellan btm@opscode.com
To: chef-dev@lists.opscode.com
Date: 02/07/2012 05:41 PM
Subject: [chef-dev] Incentivizing open source, possible bounty program?

There are some Chef bugs that we’d really like to see fixed, but we’re
really tight on engineering resources at Opscode (want a job? [1]) and
they’re not going to get high enough on the priority for us to fix
them.

Take for instance CHEF-2346 [2] where when you scale the Open Source
Server up to a certain point, solr breaks. Figuring out why it broke
isn’t obvious, but once you do it is easy to get going again. The
solution could be simply increasing the max_field_length value, and
the ground work has been mostly laid for doing so. But there are
design questions around this, and that makes it harder to resolve.

Does anyone know of a successful bounty program, particularly other
than an altruistic one like GSoC?

Would you be incentivized if we began to offer double the hugs from
Adam Jacob in return for contributions instead of the regular single
hugs? Are hugs played out and you want something more?

Seriously, I don’t see much in the way of successful bounty programs
and lots of good arguments are out there as to why. So, what could I
offer /you/ to do a little more work on the project and feel rewarded?


Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager
© 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org

[1] http://www.opscode.com/careers/
[2] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2346


#5

On Feb 7, 2012, at 2:53 PM, James wrote:

[…] On a related topic, it would be really great to get some sort of jobs / contract board up, because the amount of inbound requests I get has increased significantly over the past few months. There is a lot of demand there, and almost no one I know has available capacity.

A job board is in flight in current sprint. -Jesse


#6

On Feb 7, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Ann Marie Fred wrote:

I would love admission and travel expenses for a Chef or Devops conference.
Obviously I wouldn’t expect that for a single bug fix, but if there was a
points system, and you could get something like that with a certain number
of points, that would be great.

I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about how to do discounts for #ChefConf for active community contributors, and will be sharing more about that in the next few days.

In that process, I’ve generated some interesting metrics on the size and health of our community which I thought I’d share.

Right now there are about 400 people who have done one or more of the following things:

  • Contributed code to Chef, Ohai, or another Opscode project
  • Published a Cookbook
  • Participated in the Community Summit
  • Contributed documentation on the Wiki or other community sites.

You are all awesome.

-Jesse