vm that contained IP,netmask,gateway information and having a script inside
of a VM poll that information via vmwaretools and dynamically set the
/etc/network/interfaces file?

i know there’s a couple of ways to do that via editing vmx files and
executing another script on the host. But i was hoping there was a cleaner
way of doing it.

Elvin Abordo
Mobile: (845) 475-8744

I do this with Ubuntu boxes, VMware dropping support don't mean it won't work just that you'll have tonfigure it out yourself or with community.

The customization spec system is open enough to do quite anything with script getting variable from the box Env.

The only hard point I have actually is the inability of vagrant-vsphere to edit vm to change memory or vswitch portgroup, but it's on my to-do list.

Caution I'm using a full vsphere it vcenter end not only standalone esxi but if can help on the subject, where are you stuck for now ?

Envoyé à partir de mon smartphone Sony Xperia™

---- Elvin Abordo a écrit ----

Is anybody out there using knife-vsphere to provision/bootstrap debian6 machines under esxi 5.5? I know vmware dropped customization spec support for debian 6. But my company is still using debian6 and we need to migrate from xenserver to esxi 5.5

Another sub question. Has anybody been successful at setting metadata on a vm that contained IP,netmask,gateway information and having a script inside of a VM poll that information via vmwaretools and dynamically set the /etc/network/interfaces file?

i know there's a couple of ways to do that via editing vmx files and executing another script on the host. But i was hoping there was a cleaner way of doing it.

--
Elvin Abordo
Mobile: (845) 475-8744

tensibai -

Yes i have a full ESXi setup with vcenter. We have an enterprise plus
license.

The part where i’m stuck at is the --cip and --cgateway don’t get applied
to a debian 6 machine using knife-vsphere. Works perfectly fine with ubuntu
12. I understand that debian 6 will still run under esxi 5.5 but they pull
support on things like customization spec and like you said hoping to lean
on the chef community to try and help with the migration.

It’s either try using knife-vsphere to get a fully IP’d machine provisioned
and bootstrapped with chef or find a hackish way of doing it. Thoughts and
ideas are more than welcome.

I didn't dig into it with 5.5 as we use Ubuntu, but I remember a hackish way with a vmtools startup script and a spec done for another flavor of Linux for netbsd boxes on 3.0.1 I would look in this way if using a spec for another distribution do not work.

I can't have a look a it right now as I'm heading to my bed but I'll try to find time tomorrow to throw an eye over this as I may have the same problems in a near future

Envoyé à partir de mon smartphone Sony Xperia™

---- Elvin Abordo a écrit ----

tensibai -

Yes i have a full ESXi setup with vcenter. We have an enterprise plus license.

The part where i'm stuck at is the --cip and --cgateway don't get applied to a debian 6 machine using knife-vsphere. Works perfectly fine with ubuntu 12. I understand that debian 6 will still run under esxi 5.5 but they pull support on things like customization spec and like you said hoping to lean on the chef community to try and help with the migration.

It's either try using knife-vsphere to get a fully IP'd machine provisioned and bootstrapped with chef or find a hackish way of doing it. Thoughts and ideas are more than welcome.