Nagios cookbook question: excluding a host?

I’ve got a setup that is all AWS nodes-- except for one, which is located
in the office. However, since that machine belongs to some roles, and as
such it’s getting pulled into the list of machines to monitor.

Is there any way that I can configure this to ignore the host? I’m one step
away from turning on notifications, I’d like to have a cleared screen when
I do so. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we
are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”

(from Smallville Season 6x1: “Zod”)

On why I hate the phrase “that’s so lame”… http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS

I am extremely interested is this too.

I haven’t been able to figure out a way other than just silencing the notifications or always putting it in downtime.

Best Regards,
JJ Asghar
e: jj.asghar@peopleadmin.com | c: 512.619.0722 | o: 512.977.5876

From: Morgan Blackthorne <stormerider@gmail.commailto:stormerider@gmail.com>
Reply-To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:53 PM
To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Subject: [chef] Nagios cookbook question: excluding a host?

I’ve got a setup that is all AWS nodes-- except for one, which is located in the office. However, since that machine belongs to some roles, and as such it’s getting pulled into the list of machines to monitor.

Is there any way that I can configure this to ignore the host? I’m one step away from turning on notifications, I’d like to have a cleared screen when I do so. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”

That's not a supported feature of the cookbook at the moment, but I was toying with a way to do it. I had it setup at one point to exclude notification for environments or roles, but it would only do that for the host.

Tim Smith - Systems Engineer
m: +1 707.738.8132

On Jun 13, 2013, at 9:30 AM, JJ Asghar jj.asghar@peopleadmin.com wrote:

I haven't been able to figure out a way other than just silencing the notifications or always putting it in downtime.

Best Regards,
JJ Asghar

Reply-To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com
To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com

I've got a setup that is all AWS nodes-- except for one, which is located in the office. However, since that machine belongs to some roles, and as such it's getting pulled into the list of machines to monitor.

Is there any way that I can configure this to ignore the host? I'm one step away from turning on notifications, I'd like to have a cleared screen when I do so. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

--
~~ StormeRider ~~

"Every world needs its heroes [...] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that's just around the corner."

(from Smallville Season 6x1: "Zod")

On why I hate the phrase "that's so lame"... http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS

One pain point I've felt here is that if you take all the hosts out of the host group, nagios does not accept the new configuration. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is.

On 2013-06-13, at 10:13, Tim Smith tsmith@llnw.com wrote:

That's not a supported feature of the cookbook at the moment, but I was toying with a way to do it. I had it setup at one point to exclude notification for environments or roles, but it would only do that for the host.

On Jun 13, 2013, at 9:30 AM, JJ Asghar jj.asghar@peopleadmin.com wrote:

I haven't been able to figure out a way other than just silencing the notifications or always putting it in downtime.

Best Regards,
JJ Asghar

Reply-To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com
To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com

I've got a setup that is all AWS nodes-- except for one, which is located in the office. However, since that machine belongs to some roles, and as such it's getting pulled into the list of machines to monitor.

Is there any way that I can configure this to ignore the host? I'm one step away from turning on notifications, I'd like to have a cleared screen when I do so. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

--
~~ StormeRider ~~

"Every world needs its heroes [...] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that's just around the corner."

(from Smallville Season 6x1: "Zod")

On why I hate the phrase "that's so lame"... http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS

Tim,

If you would like a ginny-pig I’m more than willing to take a shot. Don’t hesitate to ping me directly and lets try to get this feature out there :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
JJ Asghar

Reply-To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 12:13 PM
To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Subject: [chef] Re: Nagios cookbook question: excluding a host?

That’s not a supported feature of the cookbook at the moment, but I was toying with a way to do it. I had it setup at one point to exclude notification for environments or roles, but it would only do that for the host.

On Jun 13, 2013, at 9:30 AM, JJ Asghar <jj.asghar@peopleadmin.commailto:jj.asghar@peopleadmin.com> wrote:

I haven’t been able to figure out a way other than just silencing the notifications or always putting it in downtime.

Best Regards,
JJ Asghar
e: jj.asghar@peopleadmin.commailto:jj.asghar@peopleadmin.com | c: 512.619.0722 | o: 512.977.5876

From: Morgan Blackthorne <stormerider@gmail.commailto:stormerider@gmail.com>

I’ve got a setup that is all AWS nodes-- except for one, which is located in the office. However, since that machine belongs to some roles, and as such it’s getting pulled into the list of machines to monitor.

Is there any way that I can configure this to ignore the host? I’m one step away from turning on notifications, I’d like to have a cleared screen when I do so. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”