Test Kitchen 1.0 + Vagrant 1.1


#1

There’s some recent chatter on the mailing list about test-kitchen (1.0 alpha) and vagrant 1.1. I got the Opscode bluepill cookbook working, and pushed to the master branch. If you’re curious, see the TESTING.md file in the cookbook for instructions. Note that this:

  1. Removes the Vagrantfile - kitchen-vagrant 0.7.4 automatically builds the Vagrantfile in a ./.kitchen sub-directory.
  2. Removes the Gemfile - bundler is not needed and it was causing me trouble getting this to “Just Work™.”

Note that per the TESTING.md, you do need to have a sane Ruby 1.9.3 environment on your workstation. I used rbenv, Ruby 1.9.3-p327 on OS X. The final kitchen test command in the TESTING.md file worked.

Cheers,

Joshua Timberman
Technical Community Manager, Opscode, Inc
IRC, Skype, Twitter, Github: jtimberman


#2

Ohai,

I’ve updated these cookbooks in a similar manner to bluepill.

  • apt
  • ark
  • couchdb
  • emacs
  • fail2ban

Cheers,
Joshua

On Apr 2, 2013, at 12:45 AM, Joshua Timberman joshua@opscode.com wrote:

There’s some recent chatter on the mailing list about test-kitchen (1.0 alpha) and vagrant 1.1. I got the Opscode bluepill cookbook working, and pushed to the master branch. If you’re curious, see the TESTING.md file in the cookbook for instructions. Note that this:

  1. Removes the Vagrantfile - kitchen-vagrant 0.7.4 automatically builds the Vagrantfile in a ./.kitchen sub-directory.
  2. Removes the Gemfile - bundler is not needed and it was causing me trouble getting this to “Just Work™.”

Note that per the TESTING.md, you do need to have a sane Ruby 1.9.3 environment on your workstation. I used rbenv, Ruby 1.9.3-p327 on OS X. The final kitchen test command in the TESTING.md file worked.

Cheers,

Joshua Timberman
Technical Community Manager, Opscode, Inc
IRC, Skype, Twitter, Github: jtimberman


#3

Hi Joshua,

great to see your blog posts on the topic as well:
http://jtimberman.housepub.org/blog/2013/03/19/anatomy-of-a-test-kitchen-1-dot-0-cookbook-part-1/
http://jtimberman.housepub.org/blog/2013/03/19/anatomy-of-a-test-kitchen-1-dot-0-cookbook-part-2/

Curious question: with the lxc driver - can we run the cookbook integration
test on travis-ci.org as well?

Has anyone already tried this? Any running examples?

Cheers, Torben

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Joshua Timberman joshua@opscode.com wrote:

Ohai,

I’ve updated these cookbooks in a similar manner to bluepill.

  • apt
  • ark
  • couchdb
  • emacs
  • fail2ban

Cheers,
Joshua

On Apr 2, 2013, at 12:45 AM, Joshua Timberman joshua@opscode.com wrote:

There’s some recent chatter on the mailing list about test-kitchen (1.0
alpha) and vagrant 1.1. I got the Opscode bluepill cookbook working, and
pushed to the master branch. If you’re curious, see the TESTING.md file in
the cookbook for instructions. Note that this:

  1. Removes the Vagrantfile - kitchen-vagrant 0.7.4 automatically builds
    the Vagrantfile in a ./.kitchen sub-directory.
  2. Removes the Gemfile - bundler is not needed and it was causing me
    trouble getting this to “Just Work™.”

Note that per the TESTING.md, you do need to have a sane Ruby 1.9.3
environment on your workstation. I used rbenv, Ruby 1.9.3-p327 on OS X. The
final kitchen test command in the TESTING.md file worked.

Cheers,

Joshua Timberman
Technical Community Manager, Opscode, Inc
IRC, Skype, Twitter, Github: jtimberman


#4

On Apr 11, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Torben Knerr ukio@gmx.de wrote:

great to see your blog posts on the topic as well:
http://jtimberman.housepub.org/blog/2013/03/19/anatomy-of-a-test-kitchen-1-dot-0-cookbook-part-1/
http://jtimberman.housepub.org/blog/2013/03/19/anatomy-of-a-test-kitchen-1-dot-0-cookbook-part-2/

Curious question: with the lxc driver - can we run the cookbook integration test on travis-ci.org as well?

Has anyone already tried this? Any running examples?

I don’t know if this is even possible. The underlying systems in travis need to have the proper software for lxc to work, right?

One of the reasons for cookbook testing support in test kitchen all along was to put jobs into Jenkins, which is why 0.7.0 had openstack support added (we have an internal openstack cluster).

-j