Amazon CloudFormation


#1

I know it’s only just announced, but I’d be interested in the chef
community’s perspective on AWS’s CloudFormation -
http://aws.amazon.com/cloudformation/ .

dwh


#2

On 25 February 2011 13:53, Denis Haskin denis@haskinferguson.net wrote:

I know it’s only just announced, but I’d be interested in the chef
community’s perspective on AWS’s CloudFormation

Short version:

Go and read the documentation. Anyone who says this is something that
’replaces’ Chef is misunderstanding. This is a tool to launch a suite
of images. You still want to integrate, orchestrate and otherwise
impose configuration standards on them.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s great - I look forward to playing with
it, and integrating with it. The interesting thing will be to
understand exactly what place the ‘templates’ have in the grander
scheme of things.

Long version:

I shall blog about this shortly… watch this space.

S.

Stephen Nelson-Smith,
Principal Consultant,
Atalanta Systems Ltd,
Web: http://agilesysadmin.net
Twitter: @lordcope
Skype: atalanta.systems
Telephone: +44 (0) 1223 969819
Mobile: +44 (0) 7917 101919

Atalanta Systems: The Agile Infrastructure Enablers
http://atalanta-systems.com


#3

That was my sense, and that CF and Chef might be really powerful together…
looking forward to the blog posts :wink:

dwh

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Stephen Nelson-Smith <
stephen@atalanta-systems.com> wrote:

On 25 February 2011 13:53, Denis Haskin denis@haskinferguson.net wrote:

I know it’s only just announced, but I’d be interested in the chef
community’s perspective on AWS’s CloudFormation

Short version:

Go and read the documentation. Anyone who says this is something that
’replaces’ Chef is misunderstanding. This is a tool to launch a suite
of images. You still want to integrate, orchestrate and otherwise
impose configuration standards on them.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s great - I look forward to playing with
it, and integrating with it. The interesting thing will be to
understand exactly what place the ‘templates’ have in the grander
scheme of things.

Long version:

I shall blog about this shortly… watch this space.

S.

Stephen Nelson-Smith,
Principal Consultant,
Atalanta Systems Ltd,
Web: http://agilesysadmin.net
Twitter: @lordcope
Skype: atalanta.systems
Telephone: +44 (0) 1223 969819
Mobile: +44 (0) 7917 101919

Atalanta Systems: The Agile Infrastructure Enablers
http://atalanta-systems.com


#4

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Denis Haskin denis@haskinferguson.net wrote:

That was my sense, and that CF and Chef might be really powerful together…
looking forward to the blog posts :wink:

We were in the beta - CF is very cool. It ties together all
components of an AWS based infrastructure into a single call. You
describe the mix of AMIs, machine sizes, load balancers, message
queues, notifications, monitoring, etc that you normally did by hand,
or scripted with something like fog or boto in a series of calls, and
handles treating that infrastructure like a single coherent entity.

You can use the template you pass to CF to pass the role data,
validation key, and chef server URL to your instances, and have them
auto-configure. One call to fully built AWS infrastructure from
scratch. Very cool, and certainly not competitive with Chef (unless
you think knife ec2 * was competitive with the AWS console somehow.)

Best,
Adam


Opscode, Inc.
Adam Jacob, Chief Product Officer
T: (206) 619-7151 E: adam@opscode.com


#5

Actually pretty much anything is better than the EC2 console.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Adam Jacob adam@opscode.com wrote:

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Denis Haskin denis@haskinferguson.net wrote:

That was my sense, and that CF and Chef might be really powerful together…
looking forward to the blog posts :wink:

We were in the beta - CF is very cool. It ties together all
components of an AWS based infrastructure into a single call. You
describe the mix of AMIs, machine sizes, load balancers, message
queues, notifications, monitoring, etc that you normally did by hand,
or scripted with something like fog or boto in a series of calls, and
handles treating that infrastructure like a single coherent entity.

You can use the template you pass to CF to pass the role data,
validation key, and chef server URL to your instances, and have them
auto-configure. One call to fully built AWS infrastructure from
scratch. Very cool, and certainly not competitive with Chef (unless
you think knife ec2 * was competitive with the AWS console somehow.)

Best,
Adam


Opscode, Inc.
Adam Jacob, Chief Product Officer
T: (206) 619-7151 E: adam@opscode.com


#6

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:36 AM, John E. Vincent (lusis)
lusis.org+chef-list@gmail.com wrote:

Actually pretty much anything is better than the EC2 console.

Yeah, I’m just being polite. :slight_smile:


Opscode, Inc.
Adam Jacob, Chief Product Officer
T: (206) 619-7151 E: adam@opscode.com


#7

OK - my analysis now posted at:

http://agilesysadmin.net/cloudformation

On 25 February 2011 18:12, Adam Jacob adam@opscode.com wrote:

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:36 AM, John E. Vincent (lusis)
lusis.org+chef-list@gmail.com wrote:

Actually pretty much anything is better than the EC2 console.

Yeah, I’m just being polite. :slight_smile:


Opscode, Inc.
Adam Jacob, Chief Product Officer
T: (206) 619-7151 E: adam@opscode.com


Stephen Nelson-Smith,
Principal Consultant,
Atalanta Systems Ltd,
Web: http://agilesysadmin.net
Twitter: @lordcope
Skype: atalanta.systems
Telephone: +44 (0) 1223 969819
Mobile: +44 (0) 7917 101919

Atalanta Systems: The Agile Infrastructure Enablers
http://atalanta-systems.com


#8

On Feb 25, 2011, at 11:57 PM, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

OK - my analysis now posted at:

http://agilesysadmin.net/cloudformation

This is awesome.

-Jesse


Jesse Robbins | CEO & Cofounder - Opscode, Inc.
e: jesse@opscode.com | p: +1-206-755-3739 | http://www.opscode.com

Assistant => Kira Franz
e: kira@opscode.com | p: +1-206-779-5472