Any reason not to use chefdk on chef-solo instances in order to get Berkshelf support?

I’m noting that Berkshelf, in particular, is awkward to compile into pure chef client or chef-server deployments. Is there any reason not to simply install and use ‘chefdk’ for chef-solo clients, and avoid the lengthy compilation involved otherwise?

Nico Kadel-Garcia
Lead DevOps Engineer
nkadel@skyhookwireless.commailto:nkadel@skyhookwireless.com

if you need berkshelf then yes. alternatively. librarian-chef will not take
a lot of time to install.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <
nkadel@skyhookwireless.com> wrote:

I’m noting that Berkshelf, in particular, is awkward to compile into pure
chef client or chef-server deployments. Is there any reason not to simply
install and use ‘chefdk’ for chef-solo clients, and avoid the lengthy
compilation involved otherwise?

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Lead DevOps Engineer

nkadel@skyhookwireless.com

Librarian-chef is problematic. Updating a single cookbook tends to update all that cookbook’s “requirements” as well. Since this can get you into dependency hell very, very quickly, I can’t consider it safe or suitable for production use.

Nico Kadel-Garcia
Lead DevOps Engineer

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 1:55 PM
To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: Any reason not to use chefdk on chef-solo instances in order to get Berkshelf support?

if you need berkshelf then yes. alternatively. librarian-chef will not take a lot of time to install.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@skyhookwireless.commailto:nkadel@skyhookwireless.com> wrote:
I’m noting that Berkshelf, in particular, is awkward to compile into pure chef client or chef-server deployments. Is there any reason not to simply install and use ‘chefdk’ for chef-solo clients, and avoid the lengthy compilation involved otherwise?

Nico Kadel-Garcia
Lead DevOps Engineer

On Monday, December 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

Nico Kadel-Garcia
Lead DevOps Engineer
nkadel@skyhookwireless.com (mailto:nkadel@skyhookwireless.com)

You definitely can do that, and I’d recommend it if you’re, say, using berks and such in Ci as part of your acceptance process for changes to internal cookbooks. Just wondering, though, what does your workflow look like that you need berks everywhere?

--
Daniel DeLeo