application_ruby database block and attributes

Hi,

How do I pass parameters (preferably via attributes) to the database block in the application_ruby cookbook?

What I want to do is something like:

application “my_app” do

rails do

database do
username node[:my_app][:db_user]
password node[:my_app][:db_password]
end
end
end

It looks like the database block does not have access to the node object.

I have the application resource inside a definition, so I also tried to pass parameters to it, like params[:db_user], but that does not work either.

How do I set those database parameters dynamically?

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal

On Jul 10, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Cassiano Leal wrote:

Hi,

How do I pass parameters (preferably via attributes) to the database block in the application_ruby cookbook?

application “my_app” do
rails do
database do
end
end
end

I have the application resource inside a definition, so I also tried to pass parameters to it, like params[:db_user], but that does not work either.

Its an issue with Ruby's method lookup order. Outside of that block (I usually just do it at the top of the file) do "blah = node[:my_app]" and then in the block you can do "username blah[:db_user]" and whatnot since then it knows that blah is a variable and not a method call :frowning: method_missing, got to love it!

--Noah

THANK YOU!

I tried that, and since it worked, I went inside my definition and did

parameters = params

and voilà! parameters[:db][:username] works just as well! :slight_smile:

• cassiano

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 14:25, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:

On Jul 10, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Cassiano Leal wrote:

Hi,

application “my_app” do
rails do
database do
end
end
end

Its an issue with Ruby's method lookup order. Outside of that block (I usually just do it at the top of the file) do "blah = node[:my_app]" and then in the block you can do "username blah[:db_user]" and whatnot since then it knows that blah is a variable and not a method call :frowning: method_missing, got to love it!

--Noah