Best practices for keeping repo and server sync'd

We are just getting started with Chef. We have our chef-repo in a local subversion repository and we’re using hosted chef. I’ve noticed that it is very easy to either forget to check changes into subversion or to upload changes to hosted chef. How are people making sure the repo and the server are in sync?

Thanks,
Paul

I use a git hook to auto-upload every chef-repo change to the chefserver (uses knife and rake under the covers).

• Rob

On Apr 5, 2012, at 2:11 PM, Paul McCallick wrote:

We are just getting started with Chef. We have our chef-repo in a local subversion repository and we’re using hosted chef. I’ve noticed that it is very easy to either forget to check changes into subversion or to upload changes to hosted chef. How are people making sure the repo and the server are in sync?

Thanks,
Paul

On 2012-04-05, at 18:11, Paul McCallick wrote:

I'm starting to get used to knife-flow, which adapts the git-flow lifecycle to cookbook repos. You'd need to use git-svn though.

This is a promising plugin that leverages Guard:

https://github.com/nistude/guard-knife

--
Hector

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 14:18, Joseph Holsten joseph@josephholsten.com wrote:

On 2012-04-05, at 18:11, Paul McCallick wrote:

We are just getting started with Chef. We have our chef-repo in a local
subversion repository and we’re using hosted chef. I’ve noticed that it is
very easy to either forget to check changes into subversion or to upload
changes to hosted chef. How are people making sure the repo and the server
are in sync?

I'm starting to get used to knife-flow, which adapts the git-flow lifecycle
to cookbook repos. You'd need to use git-svn though.

josephholsten.com