Can you recommend a command-and-control tool?

I’m helping a client rebuild their configuration management and software deployment tooling, and we have Chef successfully doing both … but only on a per-node basis. Now I’m looking to add a layer above Chef, to orchestrate software/platform updates across a data-center, in a controlled fashion.

Any recommendations? Has anyone successfully used something like mcollective or nanite, with Chef, to do this kind of orchestration? Do recipes exist to install these? (The opscode repo contains a nanite cookbook, but it appears to be deprecated). Or, do most people find “knife exec” sufficient?

cheers,
Mike Williams

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Mike Williams
mike@cogentconsulting.com.au wrote:

Or, do most people find "knife exec" sufficient?

I haven't heard of anyone using "knife exec" but I think it is
adequate. I'd love to hear about anyone's successes or hardship
trying. There has been some chatter inside Opscode about
orchestration and I would expect to see a design document emerge on
the wiki in the coming weeks.

Bryan

A Rundeck node tool is here:

https://github.com/opscode/chef-rundeck

Adam

I'm helping a client rebuild their configuration management and software deployment tooling, and we have Chef successfully doing both ... but only on a per-node basis. Now I'm looking to add a layer above Chef, to orchestrate software/platform updates across a data-center, in a controlled fashion.

Any recommendations? Has anyone successfully used something like mcollective or nanite, with Chef, to do this kind of orchestration? Do recipes exist to install these? (The opscode repo contains a nanite cookbook, but it appears to be deprecated). Or, do most people find "knife exec" sufficient?

--
cheers,
Mike Williams

--
Opscode, Inc.
Adam Jacob, Chief Product Officer
T: (206) 619-7151 E: adam@opscode.com

On 18/01/2011, at 11:47 , Adam Jacob wrote:

Wow. How timely. Thanks!

--
cheers,
Mike Williams

Brilliant

On 17 January 2011 19:55, Mike Williams mike@cogentconsulting.com.au wrote:

On 18/01/2011, at 11:47 , Adam Jacob wrote:

Wow. How timely. Thanks!

--
cheers,
Mike Williams

If I may also recommend LittleChef: GitHub - tobami/littlechef: Cook with Chef without a Chef Server

It's a combo fabric + chef-solo.

I'm helping a client rebuild their configuration management and software deployment tooling, and we have Chef successfully doing both ... but only on a per-node basis. Now I'm looking to add a layer above Chef, to orchestrate software/platform updates across a data-center, in a controlled fashion.

Any recommendations? Has anyone successfully used something like mcollective or nanite, with Chef, to do this kind of orchestration? Do recipes exist to install these? (The opscode repo contains a nanite cookbook, but it appears to be deprecated). Or, do most people find "knife exec" sufficient?

--
cheers,
Mike Williams