CHEF-1392: yum groupinstall


#1

Hi list,

Trying to gauge interest in a provider for yum groupinstall, is anyone
out there actively using groups to install packages?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Software_Management_Guide/ch05s15.html

Honestly I’ve never used them myself but perhaps I’m in the minority.


#2

Hello,

On 15 May 2011 06:28, Matthew Kent mkent+chef-users@magoazul.com wrote:

Hi list,

Trying to gauge interest in a provider for yum groupinstall, is anyone
out there actively using groups to install packages?

Have used quite a bit. Don’t tend to these days. But did find it
handy when I did.

S.

Stephen Nelson-Smith,
Principal Consultant,
Atalanta Systems Ltd,
Web: http://agilesysadmin.net
Twitter: @lordcope
Skype: atalanta.systems
Telephone: +44 (0) 1223 969819
Mobile: +44 (0) 7917 101919

Atalanta Systems: The Agile Infrastructure Enablers
http://atalanta-systems.com


#3

I’ve tried to use them with Chef, without much luck. We install a
baseline of yum groups in the kickstart. For Chef recipes, I just
expand the list of group packages into an array, and let Chef loop over
that.

Eric G. Wolfe
Senior Linux Administrator,
IT Infrastructure Systems

Marshall University Computing Services
Drinko Library 428-K
One John Marshall Dr.
Huntington, WV 25755
Phone: 304.696.3428
Email: eric.wolfe@marshall.edu

Wit, n.:
The salt with which the American Humorist spoils his cookery
… by leaving it out.
– Ambrose Bierce, “The Devil’s Dictionary”

On 05/15/2011 01:28 AM, Matthew Kent wrote:

Hi list,

Trying to gauge interest in a provider for yum groupinstall, is anyone
out there actively using groups to install packages?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Software_Management_Guide/ch05s15.html

Honestly I’ve never used them myself but perhaps I’m in the minority.


#4

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Eric G. Wolfe eric.wolfe@marshall.edu wrote:

I’ve tried to use them with Chef, without much luck. We install a baseline
of yum groups in the kickstart. For Chef recipes, I just expand the list of
group packages into an array, and let Chef loop over that.

Sounds like it could be useful for a few of us then. I’ll update the ticket.

Thanks guys!


#5

Yes please!

I often use them, especially “Development Tools” and “Development
Libraries” (the version of debian’s build-essential metapackage).

The only thing that sucks is I don’t see an easy way to query yum to
see if a group is installed, without doing a groupinfo and checking
the results against rpmdb individually.

-s

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Matthew Kent
mkent+chef-users@magoazul.com wrote:

Hi list,

Trying to gauge interest in a provider for yum groupinstall, is anyone
out there actively using groups to install packages?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Software_Management_Guide/ch05s15.html

Honestly I’ve never used them myself but perhaps I’m in the minority.


#6

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Sean OMeara someara@gmail.com wrote:

Yes please!

I often use them, especially “Development Tools” and “Development
Libraries” (the version of debian’s build-essential metapackage).

The only thing that sucks is I don’t see an easy way to query yum to
see if a group is installed, without doing a groupinfo and checking
the results against rpmdb individually.

I think the output of yum grouplist would work - from CentOS 5.6:

unless I’m missing something.


#7

Look like that should work. Slipped my mind.

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Matthew Kent
mkent+chef-users@magoazul.com wrote:

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Sean OMeara someara@gmail.com wrote:

Yes please!

I often use them, especially “Development Tools” and “Development
Libraries” (the version of debian’s build-essential metapackage).

The only thing that sucks is I don’t see an easy way to query yum to
see if a group is installed, without doing a groupinfo and checking
the results against rpmdb individually.

I think the output of yum grouplist would work - from CentOS 5.6:

https://gist.github.com/974742

unless I’m missing something.


#8

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Matthew Kent <mkent+chef-users@magoazul.com

wrote:

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Eric G. Wolfe eric.wolfe@marshall.edu
wrote:

I’ve tried to use them with Chef, without much luck. We install a
baseline
of yum groups in the kickstart. For Chef recipes, I just expand the list
of
group packages into an array, and let Chef loop over that.

Sounds like it could be useful for a few of us then. I’ll update the
ticket.

Absolutely.

We really appreciate your stuff.

Thanks guys!


Sergio Rubio

FrameOS Linux
http://www.frameos.org
twitter: @rubiojr
blog: http://blog.frameos.org