Chef "iis_config" resource not working with "notifies"

I have been writing a sample cookbook to evaluate new IIS LWRP and I notice that “iis_config” resource does not seem to execute notifies statement in it.

Here is how iis_config resource looks like in my cookbook:

[cid:image001.png@01CF0C71.40531C20]

Following are the resources it notifies:

[cid:image002.png@01CF0C71.40531C20]

On running chef-client on node, I expect to see “I have been called” in output but I don’t see it. Can someone confirm the behavior?

Thanks

-Kapil

This email and any accompanying documents may contain privileged or otherwise confidential information of, and/or is the property of Education Management Solutions, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately advise the sender by reply email & delete the message & any attachments without using, copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

I seem to remember "puts" not working.

Try "Chef::Log.info 'foo here'" to write 'foo here' to your chef client
logs...

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Kapil Shardha
Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.comwrote:

I have been writing a sample cookbook to evaluate new IIS LWRP and I
notice that “iis_config” resource does not seem to execute notifies
statement in it.

On running chef-client on node, I expect to see “I have been called” in
output but I don’t see it. Can someone confirm the behavior?

Thanks

-Kapil

This email and any accompanying documents may contain privileged or
otherwise confidential information of, and/or is the property of Education
Management Solutions, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, please
immediately advise the sender by reply email & delete the message & any
attachments without using, copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

It does not seem to have made any difference? Also, is IIS LWRP idempotent?

-Kapil

Sent: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:54 PM
To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: Chef “iis_config” resource not working with “notifies”

I seem to remember “puts” not working.

Try “Chef::Log.info ‘foo here’” to write ‘foo here’ to your chef client logs…

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Kapil Shardha <Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.commailto:Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.com> wrote:
I have been writing a sample cookbook to evaluate new IIS LWRP and I notice that “iis_config” resource does not seem to execute notifies statement in it.

[cid:image001.png@01CF0C88.D371CD50]

[cid:image002.png@01CF0C88.D371CD50]

On running chef-client on node, I expect to see “I have been called” in output but I don’t see it. Can someone confirm the behavior?

Thanks

-Kapil

This email and any accompanying documents may contain privileged or otherwise confidential information of, and/or is the property of Education Management Solutions, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately advise the sender by reply email & delete the message & any attachments without using, copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

Some resources are not idempotent. I discovered this the hard way with his_config for example

David
From: Kapil Shardha <Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.commailto:Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.com>
Reply-To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:46 PM
To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Subject: [chef] RE: Re: Chef “iis_config” resource not working with “notifies”

-Kapil

To: chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Kapil Shardha <Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.commailto:Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.com> wrote:

Thanks

-Kapil

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or its contents by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message. Thank you.

It will be great if Chef documentation on IIS LWRP mentions which resources are idempotent and which ones are not.

Did anyone get a chance to confirm the behavior I mentioned in this thread?

Thanks

-Kapil

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:57 AM
To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: Chef “iis_config” resource not working with “notifies”

Some resources are not idempotent. I discovered this the hard way with his_config for example

David
From: Kapil Shardha <Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.commailto:Kapil.Shardha@ems-works.com>
Reply-To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:46 PM
To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Subject: [chef] RE: Re: Chef “iis_config” resource not working with “notifies”

-Kapil

To: chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com

Thanks

-Kapil

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or its contents by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message. Thank you.