Chef-server-ctl reconfigure fails

Trying to install chef-server version 11.0.6-1 and it is failing in the rabbitmq portion of the reconfigure step.

This has been successful in one of our development environments but is failing in another. I even installed the chef-server rpm on a third host and ran the reconfigure and it worked fine. But for some reason, on this ‘one’ VM, it is not working.

Here is the error information:

Error excecuting action ‘run’ on resource
Execute [/opt/chef-server/embedded/ bin/chpst -u chef_server -U chef_server
/opt/chef-server/embedded/bin/rabbitmqctl wait
/var/opt/chef-server/rabbtmql/db/rabbit@localhost.pid]
Unable to run /opt/chef-server/embedded/bin/rabbitmqctl: access denied

Another embedded error message states: "Expected process to exit with [0], but received ‘111’

Any ideas what the ‘111’ error code is and its resolution? I’ve searched all over and cannot find a usable solution.

I also see a bug that’s been logged with exit code [2] which is due to hostname resolution failing. This is not the issue I’m experiencing as I’ve confirmed the hostname (both short and long) is in
/etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf references ‘files dns’, and the hostname does resolve.

I also saw something else on google indicating the ‘HOME’ environment setting was not set. I don’t think that is it
because I have compared the environmental variables on all systems and they are set the same.

I’ve also compared RPMs across the VMs. I did find a handful of differences but wonder why, if they are, in fact,
the problem, they did not flag as a dependency when the chef-server RPM was installed…

Any brilliant ideas out there??? Really need to get this up and running ASAP so any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Anna

Sent from my iPhone

Rabbitmq is started via runit. I've seen issues with runit not getting started via init. Check to see if the correct instance of runit is running.

The omnibus installer does not deal with setting up runit if it is already is in inittab.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2014, at 6:07 PM, Anna Redding amrsun23@yahoo.com wrote:

Trying to install chef-server version 11.0.6-1 and it is failing in the rabbitmq portion of the reconfigure step.

This has been successful in one of our development environments but is failing in another. I even installed the chef-server rpm on a third host and ran the reconfigure and it worked fine. But for some reason, on this 'one' VM, it is not working.

Error excecuting action 'run' on resource

Another embedded error message states: "Expected process to exit with [0], but received '111'

Any ideas what the '111' error code is and its resolution? I've searched all over and cannot find a usable solution.

I also see a bug that's been logged with exit code [2] which is due to hostname resolution failing. This is not the issue I'm experiencing as I've confirmed the hostname (both short and long) is in
/etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf references 'files dns', and the hostname does resolve.

I also saw something else on google indicating the 'HOME' environment setting was not set. I don't think that is it
because I have compared the environmental variables on all systems and they are set the same.

I've also compared RPMs across the VMs. I did find a handful of differences but wonder why, if they are, in fact,
the problem, they did not flag as a dependency when the chef-server RPM was installed....

Any brilliant ideas out there???? Really need to get this up and running ASAP so any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Anna

Sent from my iPhone

If they are rhel VMs you could check if qpid is enabled:

https://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-4071

Not sure if that would result in the error you are seeing though. Just a
thought.
On Mar 11, 2014 8:08 PM, "Anna Redding" amrsun23@yahoo.com wrote:

Trying to install chef-server version 11.0.6-1 and it is failing in the
rabbitmq portion of the reconfigure step.

This has been successful in one of our development environments but is
failing in another. I even installed the chef-server rpm on a third host
and ran the reconfigure and it worked fine. But for some reason, on this
'one' VM, it is not working.

Execute [/opt/chef-server/embedded/ bin/chpst -u chef_server -U
chef_server

Another embedded error message states: "Expected process to exit with
[0], but received '111'

Any ideas what the '111' error code is and its resolution? I've searched
all over and cannot find a usable solution.

I also see a bug that's been logged with exit code [2] which is due to
hostname resolution failing. This is not the issue I'm experiencing as I've
confirmed the hostname (both short and long) is in
/etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf references 'files dns', and the hostname
does resolve.

I also saw something else on google indicating the 'HOME' environment
setting was not set. I don't think that is it
because I have compared the environmental variables on all systems and
they are set the same.

I've also compared RPMs across the VMs. I did find a handful of
differences but wonder why, if they are, in fact,
the problem, they did not flag as a dependency when the chef-server RPM
was installed....

Any brilliant ideas out there???? Really need to get this up and running
ASAP so any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Anna

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wanted to followup with the resolution. The problem was due to /opt having 750 permissions. This is where the chef-server software installs. Changed /opt to be 755 and it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2014, at 8:07 PM, Anna Redding amrsun23@yahoo.com wrote:

This has been successful in one of our development environments but is failing in another. I even installed the chef-server rpm on a third host and ran the reconfigure and it worked fine. But for some reason, on this 'one' VM, it is not working.

Another embedded error message states: "Expected process to exit with [0], but received '111'

Any ideas what the '111' error code is and its resolution? I've searched all over and cannot find a usable solution.

I also see a bug that's been logged with exit code [2] which is due to hostname resolution failing. This is not the issue I'm experiencing as I've confirmed the hostname (both short and long) is in
/etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf references 'files dns', and the hostname does resolve.

I also saw something else on google indicating the 'HOME' environment setting was not set. I don't think that is it

I've also compared RPMs across the VMs. I did find a handful of differences but wonder why, if they are, in fact,
the problem, they did not flag as a dependency when the chef-server RPM was installed....

Any brilliant ideas out there???? Really need to get this up and running ASAP so any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Anna

Sent from my iPhone