Chef-solo 0.8.8 seg faults on ubuntu 9.10 64 bit


#1

Hi,
I just started up a clean copy of ubuntu 9.10 64 bit on linode and tried
to run chef-solo. I get a seg fault:

INFO: Starting Chef Solo Run
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ohai-0.5.0/lib/ohai/plugins/linux/network.rb:53:
[BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [x86_64-linux]


i ran these commands:
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y install ruby ruby1.8-dev libopenssl-ruby1.8 rdoc
build-essential wget
sudo apt-get install ssl-cert libxml2-dev libxslt-dev gcc g++ curl

wget http://production.cf.rubygems.org/rubygems/rubygems-1.3.6.tgz
tar xvzf rubygems-1.3.6.tgz
cd rubygems-1.3.6
sudo ruby setup.rb
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gem1.8 /usr/bin/gem

sudo gem sources -a http://gems.opscode.com
sudo gem sources -a http://gemcutter.org # for nanite
sudo gem install ohai chef json –no-ri –no-rdoc
chef-solo


Tommy Chheng
Programmer and UC Irvine Graduate Student
Twitter @tommychheng


#2

Ohai!

Unfortunately, the patchlevel of ruby 1.8.7 shipped with Ubuntu 9.10
has some serious bugs, including the one you’ve observed. We are
tracking the issue on our issue tracker:

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-530

At the bottom of that page are instructions for enabling proposed
packages in ubuntu, which will allow you to install ruby
1.8.7.174-1ubuntu1 which contains patches for these bugs.

HTH,
Dan DeLeo

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Tommy Chheng tommy.chheng@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,
I just started up a clean copy of ubuntu 9.10 64 bit on linode and tried to
run chef-solo. I get a seg fault:

INFO: Starting Chef Solo Run
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ohai-0.5.0/lib/ohai/plugins/linux/network.rb:53:
[BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [x86_64-linux]


i ran these commands:
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y install ruby ruby1.8-dev libopenssl-ruby1.8 rdoc
build-essential wget
sudo apt-get install ssl-cert libxml2-dev libxslt-dev gcc g++ curl

wget http://production.cf.rubygems.org/rubygems/rubygems-1.3.6.tgz
tar xvzf rubygems-1.3.6.tgz
cd rubygems-1.3.6
sudo ruby setup.rb
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gem1.8 /usr/bin/gem

sudo gem sources -a http://gems.opscode.com
sudo gem sources -a http://gemcutter.org # for nanite
sudo gem install ohai chef json –no-ri –no-rdoc
chef-solo


Tommy Chheng
Programmer and UC Irvine Graduate Student
Twitter @tommychheng
http://tommy.chheng.com


#3

Thanks, I recompiled ruby from the
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ruby1.8/1.8.7.174-1ubuntu1

Tommy Chheng
Programmer and UC Irvine Graduate Student
Twitter @tommychheng

On 3/30/10 9:24 PM, Daniel DeLeo wrote:

Ohai!

Unfortunately, the patchlevel of ruby 1.8.7 shipped with Ubuntu 9.10
has some serious bugs, including the one you’ve observed. We are
tracking the issue on our issue tracker:

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-530

At the bottom of that page are instructions for enabling proposed
packages in ubuntu, which will allow you to install ruby
1.8.7.174-1ubuntu1 which contains patches for these bugs.

HTH,
Dan DeLeo

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Tommy Chhengtommy.chheng@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,
I just started up a clean copy of ubuntu 9.10 64 bit on linode and tried to
run chef-solo. I get a seg fault:

INFO: Starting Chef Solo Run
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ohai-0.5.0/lib/ohai/plugins/linux/network.rb:53:
[BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [x86_64-linux]


i ran these commands:
sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y install ruby ruby1.8-dev libopenssl-ruby1.8 rdoc
build-essential wget
sudo apt-get install ssl-cert libxml2-dev libxslt-dev gcc g++ curl

wget http://production.cf.rubygems.org/rubygems/rubygems-1.3.6.tgz
tar xvzf rubygems-1.3.6.tgz
cd rubygems-1.3.6
sudo ruby setup.rb
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gem1.8 /usr/bin/gem

sudo gem sources -a http://gems.opscode.com
sudo gem sources -a http://gemcutter.org # for nanite
sudo gem install ohai chef json –no-ri –no-rdoc
chef-solo


Tommy Chheng
Programmer and UC Irvine Graduate Student
Twitter @tommychheng
http://tommy.chheng.com


#4

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

At the bottom of that page are instructions for enabling proposed
packages in ubuntu, which will allow you to install ruby
1.8.7.174-1ubuntu1 which contains patches for these bugs.

1.8.7.174-1ubuntu1 is out of proposed and in karmic-updates, so an up
to date system will have it. Any remaining ruby segfaults on Karmic
(9.10) are ones we haven’t been able to reproduce reliably enough to
find the upstream patch yet.

Bryan


#5

Bryan,
Awesome news. And a shout for making the update in the first place.

Dan

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Bryan McLellan btm@loftninjas.org wrote:

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

At the bottom of that page are instructions for enabling proposed
packages in ubuntu, which will allow you to install ruby
1.8.7.174-1ubuntu1 which contains patches for these bugs.

1.8.7.174-1ubuntu1 is out of proposed and in karmic-updates, so an up
to date system will have it. Any remaining ruby segfaults on Karmic
(9.10) are ones we haven’t been able to reproduce reliably enough to
find the upstream patch yet.

Bryan