Chef-solr gem


#1

Using chef-client 11.4.

I have a cookbook that depends on the chef-solr gem.

On the client side, that gem is (apparently) not available for chef-client
11.4. Only for chef 10. If manually install the gem, it goes into chef 10
directory. Then the gem isn’t seen there. Would I try to update my “gem
path” , or something like that, or it’s risky to mix versions of chef and such.


#2

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Sam Darwin wrote:

Using chef-client 11.4.

I have a cookbook that depends on the chef-solr gem.

On the client side, that gem is (apparently) not available for chef-client
11.4. Only for chef 10. If manually install the gem, it goes into chef 10
directory. Then the gem isn’t seen there. Would I try to update my “gem
path” , or something like that, or it’s risky to mix versions of chef and such.

Rubygems doesn’t want you to load packages with conflicting dependencies, and I believe the chef-solr gems set a dependency on chef at identical versions.

What exactly are you using in chef-solr?


Daniel DeLeo


#3

What exactly are you using in chef-solr?

The edelight cookbook for chef-solo support for nagios. I
grabbed that code a few months ago and it worked fine. Then upgrade
to chef 11 and it breaks.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Sam Darwin wrote:

Using chef-client 11.4.

I have a cookbook that depends on the chef-solr gem.

On the client side, that gem is (apparently) not available for chef-client
11.4. Only for chef 10. If manually install the gem, it goes into chef 10
directory. Then the gem isn’t seen there. Would I try to update my “gem
path” , or something like that, or it’s risky to mix versions of chef and
such.

Rubygems doesn’t want you to load packages with conflicting dependencies,
and I believe the chef-solr gems set a dependency on chef at identical
versions.

What exactly are you using in chef-solr?


Daniel DeLeo


#4

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Sam Darwin wrote:

What exactly are you using in chef-solr?

The edelight cookbook for chef-solo support for nagios. I
grabbed that code a few months ago and it worked fine. Then upgrade
to chef 11 and it breaks.

Since most of the server is now written in Erlang, and we’ve decoupled the version numbers between client and server, it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to load chef-solr into Chef in the future. I’m not familiar with that cookbook, but unless it is actually installing Solr, loading data into it and then searching, I don’t think it should actually need any functionality from chef-solr.

Hopefully someone on this list can suggest an alternative.


Daniel DeLeo