Chef User resource Password attribute

I am trying to use Chef User resource to create a user on Windows platform. The password attribute is set like following:

user “TestUser” do
password "#{node[‘temp_pass’]}"
action :create
end

where the ‘node[temp_pass]’ attribute is being set in a prior ruby_block resource. I get following error :

Compiled Resource:

Declared in c:/chef/cache/cookbooks/UserCookbook/recipes/user_creation.rb:86:

in `from_file’

user(“TestUser”) do
action [:create]
supports {:manage_home=>false, :non_unique=>false}
retries 0
retry_delay 2
username “TestUser"
cookbook_name " UserCookbook"
recipe_name " user_creation”

“ArgumentError: The password does not meet the password policy requirements.Check the minimum password length, password complexity and password history requirements”.

I think the node attribute is not being resolved within the user resource. I wanted to confirm if the password attribute can be set to accept password string from a node attribute. Any idea?

Thanks

-Kapil

This email and any accompanying documents may contain privileged or otherwise confidential information of, and/or is the property of Education Management Solutions, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately advise the sender by reply email & delete the message & any attachments without using, copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

This might seem like a stupid question, but

1. are you setting that attribute some toher palce?
  2. are you trying to set it to a password which would meet the password
    requirements as the warning would give reason to believe it is not?
  3. Have you trying doing things just as you have them now but removing the
    quotes around the password attribute call?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Kapil Shardha <
Kapil.Shardha@simulationiq.com> wrote:

I am trying to use Chef User resource to create a user on Windows
platform. The password attribute is set like following:

user "TestUser" do

password "#{node['temp_pass']}"

end

where the 'node[temp_pass]' attribute is being set in a prior ruby_block
resource. I get following error :

Compiled Resource:

------------------

# Declared in
c:/chef/cache/cookbooks/UserCookbook/recipes/user_creation.rb:86:

in `from_file'

user("TestUser") do

• action [:create]*

• supports {:manage_home=>false, :non_unique=>false}*

• retries 0*

• retry_delay 2*

• username "TestUser"*

• cookbook_name " UserCookbook"*

• recipe_name " user_creation"*

"ArgumentError: The password does not meet the password policy
requirements.Check the minimum password length, password complexity and
password history requirements".

I think the node attribute is not being resolved within the user resource.
I wanted to confirm if the password attribute can be set to accept password
string from a node attribute. Any idea?

Thanks

-Kapil

This email and any accompanying documents may contain privileged or
otherwise confidential information of, and/or is the property of Education
Management Solutions, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, please
immediately advise the sender by reply email & delete the message & any
attachments without using, copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

Kenneth,

I am setting the attribute in the same recipe but in an earlier ruby_block. The printLocalAdminPass ruby_block prints the right password :

ruby_block “getLocalAdminPass” do
block do
secret = Chef::EncryptedDataBagItem.load_secret(secret_file_path)
app_local_admin_pass = Chef::EncryptedDataBagItem.load(node[‘databag_name’], “app_local_admin_pass”, secret)
node.default[‘temp_app_pass’] = app_local_admin_pass[“pass”]
end
end

ruby_block “printLocalAdminPass” do
block do
pass = node[‘temp_app_pass’]
puts "------> Local Admin password is : " + pass

end

end

When I manually (in GUI) try to create a user with the same password (“Password#1”) that is set in the above ruby_block, it works fine. I tried removing quotes around it but it does not work.

Thanks

-Kapil

Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 1:58 PM
To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: Chef User resource Password attribute

2. are you trying to set it to a password which would meet the password requirements as the warning would give reason to believe it is not?
  3. Have you trying doing things just as you have them now but removing the quotes around the password attribute call?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Kapil Shardha <Kapil.Shardha@simulationiq.commailto:Kapil.Shardha@simulationiq.com> wrote:
I am trying to use Chef User resource to create a user on Windows platform. The password attribute is set like following:

user “TestUser” do
password "#{node[‘temp_pass’]}"
end

where the ‘node[temp_pass]’ attribute is being set in a prior ruby_block resource. I get following error :

Compiled Resource:

in `from_file’

user(“TestUser”) do
retries 0
retry_delay 2
username “TestUser"
recipe_name " user_creation”

“ArgumentError: The password does not meet the password policy requirements.Check the minimum password length, password complexity and password history requirements”.

I think the node attribute is not being resolved within the user resource. I wanted to confirm if the password attribute can be set to accept password string from a node attribute. Any idea?

Thanks

-Kapil

This email and any accompanying documents may contain privileged or otherwise confidential information of, and/or is the property of Education Management Solutions, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately advise the sender by reply email & delete the message & any attachments without using, copying or disclosing the contents. Thank you.

This is a compile time/converge time issue. The value of password "#{node['temp_pass']}” is set when the recipes are compiled, and then your ruby block is setting/changing the value of node['temp_pass’] after that, which will have no effect.

--
Daniel DeLeo

On Monday, March 31, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Kapil Shardha wrote:

Kenneth,

I am setting the attribute in the same recipe but in an earlier ruby_block. The printLocalAdminPass ruby_block prints the right password :

ruby_block "getLocalAdminPass" do
block do
app_local_admin_pass = Chef::EncryptedDataBagItem.load(node['databag_name'], "app_local_admin_pass", secret)
node.default['temp_app_pass'] = app_local_admin_pass["pass"]
end
end

ruby_block "printLocalAdminPass" do
block do
pass = node['temp_app_pass']

end
end

When I manually (in GUI) try to create a user with the same password (“Password#1”) that is set in the above ruby_block, it works fine. I tried removing quotes around it but it does not work.

Thanks

-Kapil

To: chef@lists.opscode.com (mailto:chef@lists.opscode.com)

2. are you trying to set it to a password which would meet the password requirements as the warning would give reason to believe it is not?

3. Have you trying doing things just as you have them now but removing the quotes around the password attribute call?

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Kapil Shardha <Kapil.Shardha@simulationiq.com (mailto:Kapil.Shardha@simulationiq.com)> wrote:

user "TestUser" do
end

Compiled Resource:

in `from_file'

user("TestUser") do
retries 0
retry_delay 2
username "TestUser"
recipe_name " user_creation"

Thanks

-Kapil

Thanks Daniel! My goal is to use password that I have set in the encrypted data bag. Is there a way around it to achieve this goal?

-Kapil

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel DeLeo [mailto:ddeleo@kallistec.com] On Behalf Of Daniel DeLeo
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 2:09 PM
Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: Chef User resource Password attribute

This is a compile time/converge time issue. The value of password "#{node['temp_pass']}” is set when the recipes are compiled, and then your ruby block is setting/changing the value of node['temp_pass’] after that, which will have no effect.

--
Daniel DeLeo

Kenneth,

block do
app_local_admin_pass =
Chef::EncryptedDataBagItem.load(node['databag_name'],
"app_local_admin_pass", secret) node.default['temp_app_pass'] =
app_local_admin_pass["pass"] end end

block do

end
end

Thanks

-Kapil

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Kapil Shardha <Kapil.Shardha@simulationiq.com (mailto:Kapil.Shardha@simulationiq.com)> wrote:

user "TestUser" do
end

Compiled Resource:

in `from_file'

user("TestUser") do
supports {:manage_home=>false, :non_unique=>false} retries 0
retry_delay 2 username "TestUser"

Thanks

-Kapil

Actually, I got it. I moved the code outside the ruby_block so that the variable is set at the compile time. It worked fine after that. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

-Kapil

From: Kapil Shardha [mailto:Kapil.Shardha@SimulationIQ.com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 2:15 PM
Subject: [chef] RE: Re: RE: Re: Chef User resource Password attribute

Thanks Daniel! My goal is to use password that I have set in the encrypted data bag. Is there a way around it to achieve this goal?

-Kapil

--
Daniel DeLeo

Kenneth,

block do
app_local_admin_pass =

block do

end
end

Thanks

-Kapil

user "TestUser" do
end

Compiled Resource:

in `from_file'

user("TestUser") do

Thanks

-Kapil

The simplest thing is to just not use the ruby_block if you don’t need it. You only need to use ruby_block to force code to execute at converge time, which shouldn’t be required if you are just fetching data bag items. In the examples http://docs.opscode.com/dsl_recipe_method_data_bag.html#examples the data bag code is at the top level of the recipe so it gets executed at compile time, which is normally what you want.

--
Daniel DeLeo

On Monday, March 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Kapil Shardha wrote:

-Kapil

--
Daniel DeLeo

Kenneth,

block do
app_local_admin_pass =

block do

end
end

Thanks

-Kapil

user "TestUser" do
end

Compiled Resource:

in `from_file'

user("TestUser") do

Thanks

-Kapil

Thanks Daniel!

-Kapil

Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 2:23 PM
Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Chef User resource Password attribute

The simplest thing is to just not use the ruby_block if you don’t need it. You only need to use ruby_block to force code to execute at converge time, which shouldn’t be required if you are just fetching data bag items. In the examples http://docs.opscode.com/dsl_recipe_method_data_bag.html#examples the data bag code is at the top level of the recipe so it gets executed at compile time, which is normally what you want.

--
Daniel DeLeo

On Monday, March 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Kapil Shardha wrote:

-Kapil

From: Daniel DeLeo [mailto:ddeleo@kallistec.com] On Behalf Of Daniel
DeLeo

--
Daniel DeLeo

Kenneth,

block do
app_local_admin_pass =

block do

end
end

Thanks

-Kapil

user "TestUser" do
end

Compiled Resource:

in `from_file'

user("TestUser") do

Thanks

-Kapil