Databags

All

So I’m automating the ‘knife vsphere vm clone …’ so it will loop through unlimited quantities of hosts

I’m pretty sure I can use an encrypted databag to pass the vspass and the ssh_pass values, correct? I’ve not been successful with following the databag instructions, so would someone please be so kind as to explain to me the steps to go through as though I were in kindergarten.

Much appreciated
Anna

Sent from my iPhone

Anna, have you tried contacting the knife-vsphere developers directly? It
looks like a separate project from the main Chef project.

I could be way off base but my understanding of data bags is that you (can)
use knife to create/modify them or search for values in them but you don't
typically use them as inputs to knife. Using an encrypted data bag for
running knife commands doesn't seem like a big benefit, because you would
need to decrypt them locally anyway.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Anna Redding amrsun23@yahoo.com wrote:

All

So I'm automating the 'knife vsphere vm clone ...' so it will loop
through unlimited quantities of hosts

I'm pretty sure I can use an encrypted databag to pass the vspass and the
ssh_pass values, correct? I've not been successful with following the
databag instructions, so would someone please be so kind as to explain to
me the steps to go through as though I were in kindergarten.

Much appreciated
Anna

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you very much for responding.

I think I have come to the conclusion as you've eluded, that databags are not te right answer. For now, I'm turning echo off / on when prompting for the password. So far that's been 'good enough' for the immediate need.

Thanks again
Anna

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 18, 2014, at 8:10 PM, Toby Johnson irontoby@gmail.com wrote:

Anna, have you tried contacting the knife-vsphere developers directly? It looks like a separate project from the main Chef project.

I could be way off base but my understanding of data bags is that you (can) use knife to create/modify them or search for values in them but you don't typically use them as inputs to knife. Using an encrypted data bag for running knife commands doesn't seem like a big benefit, because you would need to decrypt them locally anyway.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Anna Redding amrsun23@yahoo.com wrote:

All

So I'm automating the 'knife vsphere vm clone ...' so it will loop through unlimited quantities of hosts

I'm pretty sure I can use an encrypted databag to pass the vspass and the ssh_pass values, correct? I've not been successful with following the databag instructions, so would someone please be so kind as to explain to me the steps to go through as though I were in kindergarten.

Much appreciated
Anna

Sent from my iPhone