Disable chef-client?

All,

When the chef-client is running as a daemon, is there a way to keep the
client running as a daemon, but temporarily put it into NOOP mode?

Doug

Lockfile? See

and

In client.rb or solo.rb

lockfile "/not-nfs/chef-lockfile.pid"

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Douglas Garstang doug.garstang@gmail.com
wrote:

All,

When the chef-client is running as a daemon, is there a way to keep the
client running as a daemon, but temporarily put it into NOOP mode?

Doug

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Peter Burkholder wrote:

Lockfile? See Chef 11 In-Depth: Client Improvements - Chef Blog | Chef and

In client.rb or solo.rb

lockfile "/not-nfs/chef-lockfile.pid"

Chef uses flocks to ensure that there is a live “owner” of this lockfile, and depending on configuration, the default behavior if the lock isn’t available is for chef to wait, so this isn’t really a good option.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Douglas Garstang <doug.garstang@gmail.com (mailto:doug.garstang@gmail.com)> wrote:

All,

When the chef-client is running as a daemon, is there a way to keep the client running as a daemon, but temporarily put it into NOOP mode?

Doug
Doug,

There’s nothing built-in to do this. You could maybe experiment with using a data bag item to drive recipe code that would set Chef::Config[:why_run] to true, but I’m not sure it will work. Though we do something similar with a “suicide” cookbook that makes chef-client abort early if a certain data bag item contains a specific value (and we added some scripts to change the data bag item easily from the command line.

HTH,

--
Daniel DeLeo

My point of view: I would use a tag or an attribute and a top level (in run list) recipe aborting (gracefully if possible, can't remember this) the chef run if the tag is present.

---- Douglas Garstang a écrit ----

All,

When the chef-client is running as a daemon, is there a way to keep the client running as a daemon, but temporarily put it into NOOP mode?

Doug

you may even use the resource "omnibus chef killer" from

as a starting point for yours.

Le 2014-10-23 00:22, Tensibai Zhaoying a écrit :

My point of view: I would use a tag or an attribute and a top level (in run list) recipe aborting (gracefully if possible, can't remember this) the chef run if the tag is present.

---- Douglas Garstang a écrit ----

All,

Doug