Error running application_java

Good afternoon,

I am trying to deploy a Tomcat application using the application_java cookbook. I am getting the following error:

================================================================================
Recipe Compile Error in /tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks/application_java/providers/java_webapp.rb

NameError

uninitialized constant Chef::DSL

Cookbook Trace:

/tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks/application_java/providers/java_webapp.rb:20:in `class_from_file’

Relevant File Content:

/tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks/application_java/providers/java_webapp.rb:

1: #
2: # Cookbook Name:: application_java
3: # Provider:: java_webapp
4: #
5: # Copyright 2012, ZephirWorks
6: #
7: # Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”);
8: # you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
9: # You may obtain a copy of the License at

[2013-12-12T20:30:31+00:00] ERROR: Running exception handlers
[2013-12-12T20:30:31+00:00] ERROR: Exception handlers complete
[2013-12-12T20:30:32+00:00] FATAL: Stacktrace dumped to /var/chef/cache/chef-stacktrace.out
[2013-12-12T20:30:32+00:00] FATAL: NameError: uninitialized constant Chef::DSL

Here is my recipe:

include_recipe “application_java”

application ‘credit-card-webapp’ do
path '/usr/local/creditcardapp’
repository 'http://tools.ome.ksu.edu/artifactory/ome-telecom-release/telecom/credit-card-webapp/2.1.0/credit-card-webapp-2.1.0.war
scm_provider Chef::Provider::RemoteFile::Deploy

end

tomcat
end

Doing a Google search seems to point to the cookbook trying to protect against changes introduced in Chef 11, but I’m not convinced that’s the case here. (http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2013-06/msg00078.html). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Mark

What version of Chef are you using?

--Noah

On Dec 12, 2013, at 12:40 PM, "Mark H. Nichols" chef@zanshin.net wrote:

Good afternoon,

I am trying to deploy a Tomcat application using the application_java cookbook. I am getting the following error:

================================================================================
Recipe Compile Error in /tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks/application_java/providers/java_webapp.rb

NameError

Cookbook Trace:

/tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks/application_java/providers/java_webapp.rb:20:in `class_from_file'

Relevant File Content:

/tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks/application_java/providers/java_webapp.rb:

7: # Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");

[2013-12-12T20:30:32+00:00] FATAL: Stacktrace dumped to /var/chef/cache/chef-stacktrace.out

Here is my recipe:

include_recipe "application_java"

application 'credit-card-webapp' do
path '/usr/local/creditcardapp'
repository 'http://tools.ome.ksu.edu/artifactory/ome-telecom-release/telecom/credit-card-webapp/2.1.0/credit-card-webapp-2.1.0.war'

end

tomcat
end

Doing a Google search seems to point to the cookbook trying to protect against changes introduced in Chef 11, but I’m not convinced that’s the case here. (chef - [chef] Re: Re: dhcp cookbook error: FATAL: NameError: uninitialized constant Chef::DSL). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Mark

On Dec 12, 2013, at 3:03 PM, Noah Kantrowitz noah@coderanger.net wrote:

— Mark

--Noah

Good afternoon,

NameError

Cookbook Trace:

/tmp/vagrant-chef-1/chef-solo-1/cookbooks/application_java/providers/java_webapp.rb:20:in `class_from_file'

Relevant File Content:

Here is my recipe:

repository 'http://tools.ome.ksu.edu/artifactory/ome-telecom-release/telecom/credit-card-webapp/2.1.0/credit-card-webapp-2.1.0.war'

end

tomcat
end

Doing a Google search seems to point to the cookbook trying to protect against changes introduced in Chef 11, but I’m not convinced that’s the case here. (chef - [chef] Re: Re: dhcp cookbook error: FATAL: NameError: uninitialized constant Chef::DSL). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Mark

How sure are you of that? That module was added in Chef 11 and is definitely present in 11.8.0 (https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/11.8.0/lib/chef/dsl/include_recipe.rb#L23) so usually that error stems from using Chef 10.x :-/

--Noah

On Dec 12, 2013, at 1:36 PM, "Mark H. Nichols" chef@zanshin.net wrote:

— Mark

--Noah

Good afternoon,

NameError

Cookbook Trace:

Relevant File Content:

Here is my recipe:

end

tomcat
end

Thanks,
Mark

--
mark nichols | (t|a.n) @zanshin | (w) zanshin.net | (gpg key) 53445200

On Dec 12, 2013, at 3:39 PM, Noah Kantrowitz noah@coderanger.net wrote:

How sure are you of that?

Good question. I created a cookbook using berks cookbook and I’m testing the new recipe through Vagrant. Maybe the Chef environment isn’t 11.x as a result of my method. The VM isn’t coming up, so I can’t see what Chef looks like there. I’m new to all of this, so I’m stumbling around in the dark trying to figure out what’s what.

Mark

That module was added in Chef 11 and is definitely present in 11.8.0 (https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/11.8.0/lib/chef/dsl/include_recipe.rb#L23) so usually that error stems from using Chef 10.x :-/

--Noah

— Mark

--Noah

Good afternoon,

NameError

Cookbook Trace:

Relevant File Content:

Here is my recipe:

end

tomcat
end

Thanks,
Mark

So if you vagrant ssh to get into the machine and cat /var/chef/cache/chef-stacktrace.out you should see the version of Chef embedded in the gem path in the traceback, that should be bulletproof to check the version.

--Noah

On Dec 12, 2013, at 2:17 PM, "Mark H. Nichols" chef@zanshin.net wrote:

--

Good question. I created a cookbook using berks cookbook and I’m testing the new recipe through Vagrant. Maybe the Chef environment isn’t 11.x as a result of my method. The VM isn’t coming up, so I can’t see what Chef looks like there. I’m new to all of this, so I’m stumbling around in the dark trying to figure out what’s what.

Mark

That module was added in Chef 11 and is definitely present in 11.8.0 (https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/11.8.0/lib/chef/dsl/include_recipe.rb#L23) so usually that error stems from using Chef 10.x :-/

--Noah

— Mark

--Noah

Good afternoon,

NameError

Cookbook Trace:

Relevant File Content:

Here is my recipe:

end

tomcat
end

Thanks,
Mark

On Dec 12, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Noah Kantrowitz noah@coderanger.net wrote:

So if you vagrant ssh to get into the machine and cat /var/chef/cache/chef-stacktrace.out you should see the version of Chef embedded in the gem path in the traceback, that should be bulletproof to check the version.

My bad. I checked the Chef version on my workstation and not on the VM. As you suspected, the Chef version on the VM was behind. I’ve added the vagrant-omnibus plugin and now my Vagrant VM has the latest Chef (11.8.2) installed. Consequently I’ve moved on to errors in my recipe. Progress of a sort.

Thanks,
Mark

--Noah

On Dec 12, 2013, at 2:17 PM, "Mark H. Nichols" chef@zanshin.net wrote:

--

Mark

--Noah

— Mark

--Noah

Good afternoon,

NameError

Cookbook Trace:

Relevant File Content:

Here is my recipe:

end

tomcat
end

Doing a Google search seems to point to the cookbook trying to protect against changes introduced in Chef 11, but I’m not convinced that’s the case here. (http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2013-06/msg00078.html). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Mark