Incomplete search results


#1

Hello,

I’ve got a search (“recipes:nrpe*”) that seems to only be returning
most but not all nodes with “nrpe::default” in their recipes
attribute. Both the returned nodes and the missing nodes have the nrpe
recipe in their run list via the same role. When I go into the Chef
WebUI and drill into the nodes missing from the search, they correctly
show nrpe as being in the recipes attribute. I’ve rebuild the index
and have the same results.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

-J


#2

You could be running into the max_field length bug[1] which might be
preventing nodes from being indexed. Also I’ve seen indexer puke In
cases where a node was shoving some terrible xml into attributes the
indexer, but not since chef 0.8 iirc.

[1] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2346

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Jason J. W. Williams
jasonjwwilliams@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I’ve got a search (“recipes:nrpe*”) that seems to only be returning
most but not all nodes with “nrpe::default” in their recipes
attribute. Both the returned nodes and the missing nodes have the nrpe
recipe in their run list via the same role. When I go into the Chef
WebUI and drill into the nodes missing from the search, they correctly
show nrpe as being in the recipes attribute. I’ve rebuild the index
and have the same results.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

-J


#3

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Jesse Nelson spheromak@gmail.com wrote:

You could be running into the max_field length bug[1] which might be
preventing nodes from being indexed. Also I’ve seen indexer puke In
cases where a node was shoving some terrible xml into attributes the
indexer, but not since chef 0.8 iirc.

[1] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2346

Hm, well upping maxFieldLength to 100000 doesn’t seem to correct the
issue. And watching the expander logs, doesn’t show any errors or
traceback being thrown. In fact, the recipes list is longer on the
nodes that do show up in the search than the nodes that are missing.

-J


#4

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Jason J. W. Williams
jasonjwwilliams@gmail.com wrote:

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Jesse Nelson spheromak@gmail.com wrote:

You could be running into the max_field length bug[1] which might be
preventing nodes from being indexed. Also I’ve seen indexer puke In
cases where a node was shoving some terrible xml into attributes the
indexer, but not since chef 0.8 iirc.

[1] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2346

Hm, well upping maxFieldLength to 100000 doesn’t seem to correct the
issue. And watching the expander logs, doesn’t show any errors or
traceback being thrown. In fact, the recipes list is longer on the
nodes that do show up in the search than the nodes that are missing.

My issue was indeed CHEF-2346. I had upped maxFieldLength in
/etc/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml…however it appears the Chef SOLR
config is in /var/lib/chef/solr/conf/solrconfig.xml.

I’ve updated CHEF-2346 so that stands out to anyone who installed from
Ubuntu packages.

Thank you very much for your help!

-J