Installing Gems onto Chef version of Ruby - AIX

Good day Chef community. I'm needing some assistance installing a Ruby gem into the Chef configured version of Ruby on the AIX platform. No matter which version of Chef i'm using (14.13.11 and Chef 15), I keep getting the following message when I try to install the gem
ruby-oci8

When I do the following:

gem install ruby-oci8

I get the following message error:

checking for cc... *** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary
libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more details.  You may
need configuration options.

Error Message:
  The compiler failed to generate an executable file.
  You have to install development tools first.

To see why this extension failed to compile, please check the mkmf.log which can be found here:

/opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/extensions/powerpc-aix-7/2.7.0/ruby-oci8-2.2.8/mkmf.log

extconf failed, exit code 1

Below is the content in that log file:

"xlc_r -q64 -oconftest -I/opt/chef/embedded/include/ruby-2.7.0/powerpc-aix7.1.5.0 -I/opt/chef/embedded/include/ruby-2.7.0/ruby/backward -I/opt/chef/embedded/include/ruby-2.7.0 -I. -I/opt/ch ef/embedded/include/ruby-2.7.0 -I/opt/chef/embedded/include/ncurses -I/opt/chef/embedded/include -I/opt/chef/embedded/include/ncurses -I/opt/chef/embedded/include conftest.c -L. -L/opt/c hef/embedded/lib -L. -q64 -L/opt/chef/embedded/lib -Wl,-blibpath:/opt/chef/embedded/lib:/usr/lib:/lib -L/opt/chef/embedded/lib -lruby -lm -lc" checked program was: /* begin */ 1: #include "ruby.h" 2: 3: int main(int argc, char **argv) 4: { 5: return !!argv[argc]; 6: } /* end */

I'm unsure what development tools are missing but this isnt an issue with the Chef 14 or 15 on RHEL, or Oracle Linux (OEL). I do have gcc installed

which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. To reduplicate this situation please do the following.

1. Use an AIX 7.1 or 7.2 node with "Oracle Database" or "Oracle Client" software installed
  2. Set the following environment variables (per instruction of Gem) before installing
    export ORACLE_HOME=<oracle_software_directory>
    export LIBPATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib
  3. gem install ruby-oci8-2.2.8.gem

Compiling software for AIX is difficult. We use the IBM compiler to produce the omnibus packages on AIX.

Do you have the IBM compiler installed, i.e. do you have xlc_r, or just gcc? Do you have a symlink from cc to anything?

Hi btm I wasn't notified that you had replied. I don't have xlc_r installed. /usr/bin/gcc isn't symlinked to anything either.