What is Casserole ? An OS X client for Chef !
Vrritteeen in Objective-C and Cocoa for Mac OS X 10.5, it replicates
in a native application some of the Chef Server Web UI functions.
We’re releasing it today in open-source under an Apache License.
http://github.com/fotonauts/casserole http://github.com/fotonauts/casserole/downloads http://code.fotonauts.com
Things that work:
read-only access to a chef server - I wanted to clean up the UI
before tackling the write part.
- Exploring nodes, registrations, cookbooks (no template content for
now due to a REST API limitation).
- Access to the search indexes
- Live filtering / matching in node and search results.
Things planned for the next version:
- Saving search requests
- Read/Write support: changing attributes, tags and recipes
Things I’d like to do someday
- Connecting to multiple chef servers
- MacRuby integration (testing cookbooks from Casserole ? pushing
configs to the server ?)
- Support for the cookbook metadata architecture when it’s available
- Better integration with present and future Chef awesomeness
Please note that Casserole is nothing but a side project - although
we’re starting to use it internally - so no warranty, no support, no
schedules, etc. And don’t get angry if Casserole shuts down your
entire cloud (which would be an accomplishment with a read-only
version). But hey, it’s open-source, you can fix it.
There’s a compiled version on http://github.com/fotonauts/casserole/downloads
Feel free to send feedback on email@example.com, and to use
GitHub issue tracker.
Bork bork bork !
Director, Server Software