Issues/Clarifications for Chef-Solo

Hi

Below are my tasks which i am planning todo using chef solo (not chef server/client):

1) I want to install all software's like apache2, virgo, redis, mysql etc ...
    2) I want to do configurations for all softwares installed above.

3) I want to trigger all deployments
    4) I want to do localization of all property files in entire repository (App server repository , database repository etc ...)
    5) I want to create separate environments like production, staging, testing, and development environments

6) I want to create roles like web server, database etc ...
   7) I want to add different nodes in different environments 
   etc ... basically all tasks like infrastructure management, configuration and deployments.

Could you please kindly suggest whether can i able to do all above tasks using chef-solo only ? Or shall i move to Chef Server?

I am already installed chef-solo and prepared  few cookbooks and recipes, and i am getting below issue for most of the knife commands like:
   knife environment list
   WARNING: No knife configuration file found

ERROR: Your private key could not be loaded from /etc/chef/client.pem
   Check your configuration file and ensure that your private key is readable

I am commented out client_key and validation_key in .chef/knife.rb.  Am i really required knife configuration file? If so how can i get it? I installed chef using 

curl -L https://www.opscode.com/chef/install.sh | bash

And also please suggest how can i do deployments using chef solo or any other plugins which will be helpful for me to achieve all above mentioned goals.

Your help is highly appreciable.

Thanks & Regards
TopCoder

Venkat,

Heh, that’s funny, I was just talking to someone around the same things they wanted to do.

Luckly, I just pointed them to https://github.com/jjasghar/chef-book (yes a selfless plug) to help them spring board into the chef ecosystem.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you have any :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
JJ Asghar
e: jj.asghar@peopleadmin.com | c: 512.619.0722 | o: 512.977.5876

From: Venkat Chowdhary <nit_venki2002@yahoo.co.inmailto:nit_venki2002@yahoo.co.in>
Reply-To: Venkat Chowdhary <nit_venki2002@yahoo.co.inmailto:nit_venki2002@yahoo.co.in>
Date: Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Subject: [chef] Issues/Clarifications for Chef-Solo

Hi

Below are my tasks which i am planning todo using chef solo (not chef server/client):

4) I want to do localization of all property files in entire repository (App server repository , database repository etc ...)
    5) I want to create separate environments like production, staging, testing, and development environments
   etc ... basically all tasks like infrastructure management, configuration and deployments.

Could you please kindly suggest whether can i able to do all above tasks using chef-solo only ? Or shall i move to Chef Server?

I am already installed chef-solo and prepared  few cookbooks and recipes, and i am getting below issue for most of the knife commands like:
   knife environment list

I am commented out client_key and validation_key in .chef/knife.rb.  Am i really required knife configuration file? If so how can i get it? I installed chef using

And also please suggest how can i do deployments using chef solo or any other plugins which will be helpful for me to achieve all above mentioned goals.

Thanks & Regards
TopCoder

Thank you Asghar, I am going through the github link you are provided.

Could you please help me for the issues i posted in first thread?

Thanks & Regards
Venkat

On Friday, 14 March 2014 1:12 AM, JJ Asghar jj.asghar@peopleadmin.com wrote:

Venkat,

Heh, that’s funny, I was just talking to someone around the same things they wanted to do.

Luckly, I just pointed them to https://github.com/jjasghar/chef-book (yes a selfless plug) to help them spring board into the chef ecosystem.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you have any :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
JJ Asghar
e: jj.asghar@peopleadmin.com | c: 512.619.0722 | o: 512.977.5876

Reply-To: Venkat Chowdhary nit_venki2002@yahoo.co.in
Date: Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Issues/Clarifications for Chef-Solo

Hi

knife environment list

Thanks & Regards
TopCoder