Knife ec2 with us-west-2 ami's?


#1

I’m trying to launch/bootstrap servers in Amazon’s new Oregon region. Using the alestic Ubuntu 10.04 AMI ami-8cb33ebc

knife ec2 server create -I ami-8cb33ebc -f t1.micro -S mykey -Z us-west-2a -G default,management,www -N foobar -x ubuntu
ERROR: You have not provided a valid image (AMI) value. Please note the short option for this value recently changed from ‘-i’ to ‘-I’.

Is there an issue with knife ec2 needing to be updated to support the new region?

I can launch the ami through the web interface and then bootstrap it… so I know it’s a valid ami ID.


#2

The version of fog that chef uses doesn’t know about us-west-2 iirc. You
can add it manually to the list of regions.

-Peter
On Feb 9, 2012 11:48 AM, “Aaron Abramson” aabramson@wi-figuys.com wrote:

I’m trying to launch/bootstrap servers in Amazon’s new Oregon region.
Using the alestic Ubuntu 10.04 AMI ami-8cb33ebc

knife ec2 server create -I ami-8cb33ebc -f t1.micro -S mykey -Z us-west-2a
-G default,management,www -N foobar -x ubuntu
ERROR: You have not provided a valid image (AMI) value. Please note the
short option for this value recently changed from ‘-i’ to ‘-I’.

Is there an issue with knife ec2 needing to be updated to support the new
region?

I can launch the ami through the web interface and then bootstrap it… so
I know it’s a valid ami ID.


#3

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012, Peter Norton wrote:

The version of fog that chef uses doesn’t know about us-west-2 iirc. You
can add it manually to the list of regions.

where does one add a region? the knife config?

knife[:region] = "us-west-2"

kallen

On Feb 9, 2012 11:48 AM, “Aaron Abramson” aabramson@wi-figuys.com wrote:

I’m trying to launch/bootstrap servers in Amazon’s new Oregon region.
Using the alestic Ubuntu 10.04 AMI ami-8cb33ebc

knife ec2 server create -I ami-8cb33ebc -f t1.micro -S mykey -Z us-west-2a
-G default,management,www -N foobar -x ubuntu
ERROR: You have not provided a valid image (AMI) value. Please note the
short option for this value recently changed from ‘-i’ to ‘-I’.

Is there an issue with knife ec2 needing to be updated to support the new
region?

I can launch the ami through the web interface and then bootstrap it… so
I know it’s a valid ami ID.


#4

I’m not sure if I sent this out before, I think I bounced because I used
the wrong envelope-from address.

To update the list of regions in fog, you need to either monkey-patch the
namespace, or grep around your fog gem in the compute area and update the
hash of known.

In a more recent version of the gem here are the places where us-west-2 are
specified in the compute heirarchy:

PN-mac:.emacs.d pn$ find ~/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290 -name *.rb | grep
compute | xargs grep -n us-west-2
/Users/pn/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/fog-1.1.2/lib/fog/aws/compute.rb:174:
unless [‘ap-northeast-1’, ‘ap-southeast-1’, ‘eu-west-1’,
‘us-east-1’, ‘us-west-1’, ‘us-west-2’, ‘sa-east-1’].include?(@region)
/Users/pn/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/fog-1.1.2/lib/fog/aws/compute.rb:252:
# [‘eu-west-1’, ‘us-east-1’, ‘us-west-1’, ‘us-west-2’,
‘ap-northeast-1’, ‘ap-southeast-1’]
/Users/pn/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/fog-1.1.2/lib/fog/aws/compute.rb:285:
when ‘us-west-2’
/Users/pn/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/fog-1.1.2/lib/fog/aws/compute.rb:286:
ec2.us-west-2.amazonaws.com
/Users/pn/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/fog-1.1.2/lib/fog/aws/requests/compute/describe_availability_zones.rb:58:
{“messageSet” => [], “regionName” => “us-west-2”, “zoneName” =>
“us-west-2a”, “zoneState” => “available”},
/Users/pn/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/fog-1.1.2/lib/fog/aws/requests/compute/describe_availability_zones.rb:59:
{“messageSet” => [], “regionName” => “us-west-2”, “zoneName” =>
“us-west-2b”, “zoneState” => “available”},

These are the important ones:

/Users/pn/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/fog-1.1.2/lib/fog/aws/compute.rb:285:
when ‘us-west-2’
/Users/pn/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/fog-1.1.2/lib/fog/aws/compute.rb:286:
ec2.us-west-2.amazonaws.com

-Peter

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM, kallen@groknaut.net wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012, Peter Norton wrote:

The version of fog that chef uses doesn’t know about us-west-2 iirc.
You
can add it manually to the list of regions.

where does one add a region? the knife config?

knife[:region] = “us-west-2”

kallen

On Feb 9, 2012 11:48 AM, “Aaron Abramson” aabramson@wi-figuys.com
wrote:

I’m trying to launch/bootstrap servers in Amazon’s new Oregon region.
Using the alestic Ubuntu 10.04 AMI ami-8cb33ebc

knife ec2 server create -I ami-8cb33ebc -f t1.micro -S mykey -Z
us-west-2a

-G default,management,www -N foobar -x ubuntu
ERROR: You have not provided a valid image (AMI) value. Please note
the

short option for this value recently changed from ‘-i’ to ‘-I’.

Is there an issue with knife ec2 needing to be updated to support the
new

region?

I can launch the ami through the web interface and then bootstrap
it… so

I know it’s a valid ami ID.