Knife upload cookbook error in cygwin

I’m down to one error in making knife work in my Cygwin box. I have chef-client v12.4.1

I get this when I try to upload a cookbook, with a cryptic error. Any clues? I googled to no avail.

Chris

$ knife cookbook upload gateway
Uploading gateway [1.2.0]
ERROR: ArgumentError: too short control escape

We can’t really support cygwin because it mangles things on the command line and has other weird unfixable bugs that break things before the input gets to any part of the software stack we control. I’d recommend using powershell in ConEmu, or if you’re really homesick for the *nix experience, run bash in ConEmu, with plain mingw (the stuff that comes with git mostly works okay).

--
Daniel DeLeo

On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Fouts, Chris wrote:

I’m down to one error in making knife work in my Cygwin box. I have chef-client v12.4.1

I get this when I try to upload a cookbook, with a cryptic error. Any clues? I googled to no avail.

Chris

Yeah I know Cygwin is not supported and that this was a long shot. I got everything else working, including Berks, except that command.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel DeLeo [mailto:ddeleo@kallistec.com] On Behalf Of Daniel DeLeo
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2015 12:02 PM
To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: knife upload cookbook error in cygwin

We can’t really support cygwin because it mangles things on the command line and has other weird unfixable bugs that break things before the input gets to any part of the software stack we control. I’d recommend using powershell in ConEmu, or if you’re really homesick for the *nix experience, run bash in ConEmu, with plain mingw (the stuff that comes with git mostly works okay).

--
Daniel DeLeo

On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Fouts, Chris wrote:

Chris