Meeting Notes for Oct 14th, 2021

Below are the meeting notes for this week's Community Meeting, a text-based meeting held weekly in #community-meetings on our community slack, which you can join:


benny Vasquez shared

  • up first, I want to say: we’re working on revamping our user journey across / / and all of the other properties. We’re at a stage that we want to talk to some people who use our products on a regular basis about the structure we’re starting to build. if you’re interested in providing feedback, we’re going to set up a 90-minute conversation to run over it and get ALL your feedback. It’s currently scheduled for Tuesday, Oct 26th at 1 pm Eastern US time, 10 am Pacific time. If you’re free, we’d LOVE to incorporate your feedback. Just email and I’ll get you set up!
  • I also wanna mention that we’re down to 11 days on the Automate for Good hackathon! . If you were hoping to submit something to win that $15k first prize, you better get on it!
  • We also uploaded all of the chefconf videos to youtube, in case you missed it here’s the link: .

This week’s releases

Chef Automate

benny Vasquez shared

Chef Automate 2 had another great release this week. That team really is just pumping stuff out: Automate 2 version 20211007102429 Released!

Chef Habitat

benny Vasquez shared

Chef Habitat had its first release since July! 1.6.400 was released yesterday. There’s a TON of updates, but most importantly this one was built against the recent core-plans refresh. Definitely take a look here for all the details: Chef Habitat 1.6.400 Released!

Other releases

benny Vasquez shared

AND! @kgarmoe has also started sharing release announcements around InSpec Azure and AWS resources! You can find the notes on discourse, and you’ll find the repos on GitHub ( Azure , AWS ). They each had one release this week, so have some links:


Chef Habitat

mwrockx shared

Hello from Habitat!
This week's updates are:

  • Released habitat 1.6.400 which includes a full set of refreshed packages in studio
  • Openssl 1.0.2 and cacerts refresh
  • NATS library overhaul
  • Fixing builder bug not rendering all releases
  • Fixing builder autobuilds for repos with "main" as default branch
  • Working on tool to auto version bump core packages

Chef Infra Client

tas50 shared

Hey folks!

This week is a big brief for us on the Infra Client side

  • Updating the DLLs we use for talking to PowerShell natively in client
  • Moving those DLLs to their own repo so we don't end up with a 1 gig pull of the chef/chef repo
  • w32_certstore gem bug fixes and test improvements
  • Digging into really funky FFI issues with libarchive that were causing failures on non-x86 platforms

That's about it. We should have a release in the near-ish future. It'll be a small one with some bug fixes and secrets helper improvements from @Jason Barnett for Azure users

Chef Infra Server

prajakta shared

Hello! Hello! We are currently prepping for the 14.10 release of server. Currently working on fixing some issues with our integration test pipeline. We are also adding more tests there around postgrade upgrades to make testing postgres upgrades smoother.

Some of the other things in progress have been:

Reviewing and Testing:

Chef Inspec

cwolfe shared

The Chef InSpec team has been working on:

  • Adding Windows support to the http resource
  • Adding support for podman
  • Fixing an issue with oracledb_session
  • Working on our roadmap for 2022

Chef Workstation

benny Vasquez shared


  • Go based changes in chef-cli - merge related issues being addressed
  • Release pipeline related issues being fixed
  • Release pipeline scripts updated, to be verified once above is addressed
  • Working on Workstation App auto-start on login issue
  • Working on Workstation App version info issue
  • Addressing knife bootstrap issue

Sous Chefs

ramereth shared

Hello from Sous Chefs!

It's been a pretty busy week

Here's the list of new releases in the past week:

  • bind - 3.0.0:
    • Sous Chefs adoption
    • Enable resource unified_mode for Chef 17 compatibility
    • Fix issues with chroot on Debian and Ubuntu systems
    • Install dnsutils package on Debian-based systems to get dig binary
    • Remove sysvinit support
    • Fix AppArmor permissions for bind_logging_channel when files are used
  • bind - 3.0.1:
    • Include BindCookbook::Helpers via action_class in bind_config
    • Add CHEF_PRODUCT_NAME variable for setting product_name
  • bind - 3.0.2: Convert node['platform_version'] to a float for correct comparison

I finally got the bind cookbook cleaned up and a Sous Chefs release out

  • hashicorp-vault - 6.1.0: Use as type
  • lvm - 5.1.0
    • Sous Chefs Adoption
    • Enable unified_mode if supported
    • Move resource documentation into individual files out of README
    • Install thin-provisioning-tools on Debian-based systems
    • Other various fixes and improvements

This cookbook still needs a lot of work, but it's at least in a better state from a testing and CI point of view

  • mariadb - 5.1.0: Migrate to using selinux cookbook which incorporates selinux_policy cookbook resources
  • nginx - 12.0.7: Correct default value for config_dir in
  • postgresql - 9.1.0
    • Use dnf_module resource from yum cookbook instead of manually shelling out,
    • requires new dependency on yum >= 7.2.0
    • Remove unneeded apt & yum-epel dependencies
    • Move resource documentation out of README
  • samba - 2.0.4: Documentation cleanup
  • varnish - 5.0.0
    • Enable unified_mode
    • Require Chef >= 15.5
    • Remove chef-sugar dependency
    • Fix support for RHEL 8
    • Add new known Varnish releases
    • Remove sysvinit support and other various fixes

I'm also working on an adoption PR for the NFS cookbook currently. Hope to get that up soon once I have it ready. Looks like there needs to be a lot of work fixing RHEL8 support in it

I also implemented a workaround for the vagrant box rate limits in Github Actions by hosting the boxes on OSUOSL mirrors. It's slower, but tests at least pass now..

I'm going to try doing that on other cookbooks that use vagrant for testing instead of dokken

Cinc Updates

ramereth shared

Hello from the Cinc Project!

Cinc Workstation

  • Released 21.10.640

I'm going to work backporting our ruby-based wrappers in Cinc Auditor to try and resolve this issue: Removal of "Redirecting to cinc-auditor"? (#14) · Issues · cinc / distribution / auditor · GitLab

Hoping to get that in the next upstream stable release

I'm also hoping to find some time to finally get our Cinc Server builds fixed and get caught up on releases. Apologies for the delays on that!

Oh, we also added Debian 11 builds to most of our projects and I also updated the bio CLI in our workstation build to the latest version in our most recent release

jgitlin shared

@prajakta said that Replace wordmarks in chef-server-ctl (#1949, first pass) by jgitlin-p21 · Pull Request #2808 · chef/chef-server · GitHub should be merged soon, so that might help with the Cinc Server release process, too

Other updates

benny Vasquez

I’m also gonna shameless plug for one second, in a way that’s only tangentially related to Chef. I’ve been elected as the new Chair for the Board of Directors at AlmaLinux . So, you know. If you have any questions about what to do with CentOS 8 EOLing in 2.5 months, I’ve got some ideas that might help.

See you next week!

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.