Nagios cookbook

I upgraded my ruby version as well as the gems (since this was what was required to run knife winrm). Once I did that, as I am trying to add a new host, its not adding to the nagios server. I was able to deploy nsclient ++ to the node and the chef-server is able to find this node:

[root@nagios01 chef-repo_prod]# knife search node ‘V2*’ -i
1 items found

V2MQ13.AVL.TheOrchard

As far as what is being passed as the role:

name "base_windows"
description "Base role applied to all Windows nodes."
run_list(
“recipe[nsclient::default]”
)

default_attributes(
“nagios” => {
“server_role” => “monitoring”
}
)

As I run chef-client on the nagios server, it’s not adding as a hosts. I even tried to add this node as ‘unmanaged_hosts’ data bag to see if it would pick up.

Nikhil Shah / System Administrator
nshah@theorchard.com

The Orchard® / www.theorchard.com

t (+1) 212.308.5648 / f (+1) 212.201.9203
23 E. 4th St., 3rd Fl / New York, NY 10003

The Daily Rind™ / www.dailyrindblog.com
Facebook / @orchtweets

Privileged And Confidential Communication.
This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, (a) are protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 USC §§ 2510-2521), (b) may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information, and © are for the sole use of the intended recipient named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of the information received in error is strictly prohibited.

Have you increased the solr config for MaxFieldLength? Windows nodes are very large due to the crazy data that Ohai collects on Windows. If you haven’t increased the max size to a much larger number, then the Nagios server probably isn’t getting back those nodes when performing a search.

See for a nice explanation of how to make the change:

Tim Smith - Systems Engineer
m: +1 707.738.8132

On Nov 26, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Nikhil Shah nshah@theorchard.com wrote:

I upgraded my ruby version as well as the gems (since this was what was required to run knife winrm). Once I did that, as I am trying to add a new host, its not adding to the nagios server. I was able to deploy nsclient ++ to the node and the chef-server is able to find this node:

[root@nagios01 chef-repo_prod]# knife search node 'V2*' -i
1 items found

V2MQ13.AVL.TheOrchard

name "base_windows"
run_list(
"recipe[nsclient::default]"
)

default_attributes(
"nagios" => {
"server_role" => "monitoring"
}
)

As I run chef-client on the nagios server, it’s not adding as a hosts. I even tried to add this node as ‘unmanaged_hosts’ data bag to see if it would pick up.

nshah@theorchard.com

Facebook / @orchtweets

This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, (a) are protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 USC §§ 2510-2521), (b) may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information, and (c) are for the sole use of the intended recipient named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of the information received in error is strictly prohibited.

Tim,

Thanks! I now recall you mentioned that before. That worked like a charm!

Thanks,

Nikhil Shah

On Nov 26, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Tim Smith tsmith@llnw.com wrote:

Have you increased the solr config for MaxFieldLength? Windows nodes are very large due to the crazy data that Ohai collects on Windows. If you haven’t increased the max size to a much larger number, then the Nagios server probably isn’t getting back those nodes when performing a search.

See for a nice explanation of how to make the change:

[CHEF-2346] - Set solr maxFieldLength to 10000, or nodes with lots of attributes won't be indexed · Issue #4 · pikesley/catering-college · GitHub

Tim Smith - Systems Engineer
m: +1 707.738.8132

On Nov 26, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Nikhil Shah nshah@theorchard.com wrote:

[root@nagios01 chef-repo_prod]# knife search node 'V2*' -i
1 items found

V2MQ13.AVL.TheOrchard

name "base_windows"
run_list(
"recipe[nsclient::default]"
)

default_attributes(
"nagios" => {
"server_role" => "monitoring"
}
)

nshah@theorchard.com

Facebook / @orchtweets

This electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, (a) are protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 USC §§ 2510-2521), (b) may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information, and (c) are for the sole use of the intended recipient named above. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of the information received in error is strictly prohibited.