Ohai Rakefile requires 'spec/rake/spectask', but not found on my system


#1

Hello,

I just created a development setup for fixing OHAI-235, but even after
following the ENVIRONMENT instructions from README.rdoc, running rake
fails on not finding ‘spec/rake/spectask’:

rdesmet@ringo-desktop:~/Projects/ruby/ohai$ rake spec
(in /home/rdesmet/Projects/ruby/ohai)
rake aborted!
no such file to load – spec/rake/spectask
/home/rdesmet/Projects/ruby/ohai/Rakefile:5
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

I have Rake 0.8.7 and rspec 2.2.0 installed, but neither of these gems
provides that Ruby file. Can someone unblock me here?

Ringo


#2

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Ringo De Smet ringo.desmet@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I just created a development setup for fixing OHAI-235, but even after
following the ENVIRONMENT instructions from README.rdoc, running rake
fails on not finding ‘spec/rake/spectask’:

rdesmet@ringo-desktop:~/Projects/ruby/ohai$ rake spec
(in /home/rdesmet/Projects/ruby/ohai)
rake aborted!
no such file to load – spec/rake/spectask
/home/rdesmet/Projects/ruby/ohai/Rakefile:5
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

I have Rake 0.8.7 and rspec 2.2.0 installed, but neither of these gems
provides that Ruby file. Can someone unblock me here?

We haven’t updated to rspec 2.x yet, you need rspec 1.3.1. Also, we’ve
been making an effort to make the rake tasks rescue these kinds of
errors so you can still build and install the gems without having
development dependencies installed. Can you file a ticket for this for
the ohai project?

Thanks,
Dan DeLeo

Ringo


#3

Dan,

On 9 December 2010 17:18, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

We haven’t updated to rspec 2.x yet, you need rspec 1.3.1. Also, we’ve

OK, after installing rspec 1.3.1, ‘rake spec’ worked as expected.
Meanwhile, OHAI-235 is resolved and a pull request pending.

been making an effort to make the rake tasks rescue these kinds of
errors so you can still build and install the gems without having
development dependencies installed. Can you file a ticket for this for
the ohai project?

I’m not sure what you want me to do here. May I ask you to enter the
ticket yourself? I think you will be able give a better description
and comments on the ticket.

Ringo


#4

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Ringo De Smet ringo.desmet@gmail.com wrote:

Dan,

On 9 December 2010 17:18, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

We haven’t updated to rspec 2.x yet, you need rspec 1.3.1. Also, we’ve

OK, after installing rspec 1.3.1, ‘rake spec’ worked as expected.
Meanwhile, OHAI-235 is resolved and a pull request pending.

been making an effort to make the rake tasks rescue these kinds of
errors so you can still build and install the gems without having
development dependencies installed. Can you file a ticket for this for
the ohai project?

I’m not sure what you want me to do here. May I ask you to enter the
ticket yourself? I think you will be able give a better description
and comments on the ticket.

Ringo

I filed OHAI-236[1] about this, but now I see it’s not really a
problem for your case since you actually wanted to run the specs. The
improvement I’m talking about is to structure the rakefile so it will
be able to run other tasks (like rake gem or rake install) when
rspec isn’t installed. The spec tasks for Chef already do this[2].

Thanks,
Dan

  1. http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/OHAI-236
  2. https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/chef/tasks/rspec.rb