I ran into couple of situations, when installing additional gems using
chef_gem resource generates troubles. This hits us really hard from
time-to-time, and I want to make this more stable and predictable.
What I aim to do is:
- Reduce need to access public internet on production servers
(access to rubygems.org)
- Lock versions of all gems
- Compile package once, install faster on destination server
I try to achieve most of that by pre-building RPM packages for gems
(first try here  ). After that I can store them all in on-premises
repository, and use system package manager (yum on centos) to install
I would appreciate any feedback/answer for questions :
- Is there better way to achieve my goals?
- Where can I find source packages/spec files for chef packages
available on chef site ?