Permissions management tutorial -- starting out

Hello!

I first apologize as I’m sure this is covered in a tutorial or documentation on the chef website. I haven’t been able to find it as of yet. I would be more than happy if someone could post me where I can read about this.

I’ve been charged with managing and administrating our chef installation as a whole, and I have never used chef before. Understanding, managing, and locking down the permissions is a high priority that I need to be able validate and change, and fast.

I’ve been going through the tutorials and trying to google/search documentation for basic permissions administration. I’ve been having difficulty understanding how to list the current permissions, who has access and to what, and being able to revoke/change access to objects, as well as new users.

I apologize for this sounding like “Hey I’m new and have no idea and please help me cause I’m a noob”, I’m just hitting the wall on how to get started with this stuff.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Thank you!

All of Chef’s RBAC is currently sitting in the Chef Manage UI and can be
viewed and modified through the Administration Tab > Users/Groups

Hope this helps.

The manage UI is now part of the paid-offering right?

I’m all free here, so I don’t think I have access to that.

For command line you should look at knife-acl. It allows for modification of permissions using knife.