Re: Re: RE: Re: Anyone using the knife-vsphere knife plugin?


#1

I will give it it another try. Also, since we have many virtual center servers with many data centers and many clusters; Having command line options for these would be ideal.

Thanks
Randy

----- Reply message -----
From: “Jesse Campbell” hikeit@gmail.com
To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: Anyone using the knife-vsphere knife plugin ?
Date: Wed, Apr 4, 2012 12:29 pm

Ian: Which options have you run into trouble with? The plugin needs a
lot of testing, and it would be great to get more input on
improvements necessary.

Randy: Have you had any progress getting your AD accounts to authenticate?
I did some testing on my machine, I am unable to authenticate using
domain\user, but I am able to authenticate with:
domain\user
user@domain
user

-Jesse


#2

Agreed. I’ll add it to my list of things to fiddle with… i’d like it
to be able to pick up all of the options from either command line or
config file, where command line overrides config file.

-Jesse

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 13:32, Van Fossan,Randy vanfossr@oclc.org wrote:

I will give it it another try. Also, since we have many virtual center servers with many data centers and many clusters; Having command line options for these would be ideal.

Thanks
Randy

----- Reply message -----
From: “Jesse Campbell” hikeit@gmail.com
To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: Anyone using the knife-vsphere knife plugin ?
Date: Wed, Apr 4, 2012 12:29 pm

Ian: Which options have you run into trouble with? The plugin needs a
lot of testing, and it would be great to get more input on
improvements necessary.

Randy: Have you had any progress getting your AD accounts to authenticate?
I did some testing on my machine, I am unable to authenticate using
domain\user, but I am able to authenticate with:
domain\user
user@domain
user

-Jesse


#3

Looks like you can specify -u (–user), -p (–password), -d
(–datacenter) but not specify the vsphere host. I’ll add that and
submit a pull request in a few minutes.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 13:53, Jesse Campbell hikeit@gmail.com wrote:

Agreed. I’ll add it to my list of things to fiddle with… i’d like it
to be able to pick up all of the options from either command line or
config file, where command line overrides config file.

-Jesse

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 13:32, Van Fossan,Randy vanfossr@oclc.org wrote:

I will give it it another try. Also, since we have many virtual center servers with many data centers and many clusters; Having command line options for these would be ideal.

Thanks
Randy

----- Reply message -----
From: “Jesse Campbell” hikeit@gmail.com
To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: Anyone using the knife-vsphere knife plugin ?
Date: Wed, Apr 4, 2012 12:29 pm

Ian: Which options have you run into trouble with? The plugin needs a
lot of testing, and it would be great to get more input on
improvements necessary.

Randy: Have you had any progress getting your AD accounts to authenticate?
I did some testing on my machine, I am unable to authenticate using
domain\user, but I am able to authenticate with:
domain\user
user@domain
user

-Jesse


#4

Changes submitted to my branch (github.com/jcam/knife-vsphere), and
pull request submitted. You can grab my version from there, or wait
for Ezra to have a chance to do the merge.
It will now support reading almost all options from the command line
or knife.rb config file.

For anyone that submits updates, defaults for now will need to be
specified in the $defaults hash instead of as a parameter to the
:option. I’ve posted to the chef-dev list hoping for a better way to
support specifying options with defaults, config file, and/or on the
command line, but have not yet heard back.
-Jesse

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 14:19, Jesse Campbell hikeit@gmail.com wrote:

Looks like you can specify -u (–user), -p (–password), -d
(–datacenter) but not specify the vsphere host. I’ll add that and
submit a pull request in a few minutes.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 13:53, Jesse Campbell hikeit@gmail.com wrote:

Agreed. I’ll add it to my list of things to fiddle with… i’d like it
to be able to pick up all of the options from either command line or
config file, where command line overrides config file.

-Jesse

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 13:32, Van Fossan,Randy vanfossr@oclc.org wrote:

I will give it it another try. Also, since we have many virtual center servers with many data centers and many clusters; Having command line options for these would be ideal.

Thanks
Randy

----- Reply message -----
From: “Jesse Campbell” hikeit@gmail.com
To: "chef@lists.opscode.com" chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: Anyone using the knife-vsphere knife plugin ?
Date: Wed, Apr 4, 2012 12:29 pm

Ian: Which options have you run into trouble with? The plugin needs a
lot of testing, and it would be great to get more input on
improvements necessary.

Randy: Have you had any progress getting your AD accounts to authenticate?
I did some testing on my machine, I am unable to authenticate using
domain\user, but I am able to authenticate with:
domain\user
user@domain
user

-Jesse