Restrict access to nodes

Hi,
I’ve been wading through the tutorials and almost everything works just
fine. I had a question about how security works:

As far as I can tell, once a client is created from the web-UI and its
private key generated, a client can connect as any node using the
private key. Is it possible to restrict a client to using just a subset
of nodes? I’m thinking of a scenario where we want to make sure that the
nodes only have access to the runlists configured for them.

Thanks
-Jerry

Hi jerry,

Me too have a same doubt and need help to give permission access to a particular environment for that node and cookbook access too. Also other environment user cannot have a edit or delete permission of other users environment except their own.

In hosted chef server i have tried this because it has a RBAC , but i can't able to restrict a delete and update access of  user in editing and deleting a environment and cookbooks. I created a organization,under that ivite user and add those .

So how we can authenticate ?

Thanks,
Indra.

To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Sent: Tuesday, 27 May 2014 1:49 PM
Subject: [chef] Restrict access to nodes

Hi,
I’ve been wading through the tutorials and almost everything works just
fine. I had a question about how security works:

As far as I can tell, once a client is created from the web-UI and its
private key generated, a client can connect as any node using the
private key. Is it possible to restrict a client to using just a subset
of nodes? I’m thinking of a scenario where we want to make sure that the
nodes only have access to the runlists configured for them.

Thanks
-Jerry

Access to the private key is considered authentication. The only way you know which node is talking to the API is which key it uses. It is up to you to ensure these are kept safe, though the default key generation system using the validation key will write it out securely.

--Noah

On May 27, 2014, at 1:19 AM, Jerry Raj jerry.raj@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,
I've been wading through the tutorials and almost everything works just fine. I had a question about how security works:

As far as I can tell, once a client is created from the web-UI and its private key generated, a client can connect as any node using the private key. Is it possible to restrict a client to using just a subset of nodes? I'm thinking of a scenario where we want to make sure that the nodes only have access to the runlists configured for them.

Thanks
-Jerry

Thanks.
The way I understand it, the key identifies a user. The run-lists are
associated with a node. So the user can assert any node name and run the
run-lists associated with that node name. Or am I mixing things up?

-Jerry

On 27/05/14 3:50 pm, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:

Access to the private key is considered authentication. The only way you know which node is talking to the API is which key it uses. It is up to you to ensure these are kept safe, though the default key generation system using the validation key will write it out securely.

--Noah

Hi,
I've been wading through the tutorials and almost everything works just fine. I had a question about how security works:

As far as I can tell, once a client is created from the web-UI and its private key generated, a client can connect as any node using the private key. Is it possible to restrict a client to using just a subset of nodes? I'm thinking of a scenario where we want to make sure that the nodes only have access to the runlists configured for them.

Thanks
-Jerry

In open-source Chef yes, read access is global, but only admin keys can create/update/delete. In enterprise Chef this is the default, but it can be customized through the ACL system.

--Noah

On May 27, 2014, at 3:34 AM, Jerry Raj jerry.raj@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks.
The way I understand it, the key identifies a user. The run-lists are associated with a node. So the user can assert any node name and run the run-lists associated with that node name. Or am I mixing things up?

-Jerry

--Noah

Hi,

Thanks
-Jerry

Ah, I see. I was using open-source Chef, so I obviously could not see a
way to make it work the way I needed.

Thanks for clearing that up.
-Jerry

On 27/05/14 4:29 pm, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:

In open-source Chef yes, read access is global, but only admin keys can create/update/delete. In enterprise Chef this is the default, but it can be customized through the ACL system.

--Noah

On May 27, 2014, at 3:34 AM, Jerry Raj jerry.raj@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks.
The way I understand it, the key identifies a user. The run-lists are associated with a node. So the user can assert any node name and run the run-lists associated with that node name. Or am I mixing things up?

-Jerry

--Noah

Hi,

Thanks
-Jerry