Test-kitchen/vagabond/chef spec/server spec resources


#1

I’m hoping to dive into some unit tests and such this coming few weeks and
I was wondering what resources I should look into. I have the TDD book by
Steven Nelson Smith, but that seems to be fairly cucumber specific. Looking
to see what pages to bookmark and what to load up on my ereader for
research.

Thanks, and happy holidays to those who celebrate!

~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we
are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”

(from Smallville Season 6x1: “Zod”)

On why I hate the phrase “that’s so lame”… http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS


#2

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Morgan Blackthorne
stormerider@gmail.com wrote:

I’m hoping to dive into some unit tests and such this coming few weeks and I
was wondering what resources I should look into. I have the TDD book by
Steven Nelson Smith, but that seems to be fairly cucumber specific. Looking
to see what pages to bookmark and what to load up on my ereader for
research.

Thanks, and happy holidays to those who celebrate!

The 2nd edition of the TDD book is much less Cucumber-focused and goes
into Test Kitchen, Serverspec, and many other things. I’d recommend
that.

For unit testing specifically, everyone seems to be coalescing around
ChefSpec [3]. The README.md itself is a pretty good way to get
started. https://github.com/sethvargo/chefspec

Cheers, happy Thanksgiving, and don’t get injured at Black Friday!

  • Julian


[ Julian C. Dunn jdunn@aquezada.com * Sorry, I’m ]
[ WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian * only Web 1.0 ]
[ gopher://sdf.org/1/users/keymaker/ * compliant! ]
[ PGP: 91B3 7A9D 683C 7C16 715F 442C 6065 D533 FDC2 05B9 ]


#3

Thanks, I have version 1… will need to pick up the new version, didn’t
realize there had been an update.

As for Black Friday, I’ll be monitoring servers… far safer than risking
life and limb out in the crowds :stuck_out_tongue:


~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we
are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”

(from Smallville Season 6x1: “Zod”)

On why I hate the phrase “that’s so lame”… http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Julian C. Dunn jdunn@aquezada.com wrote:

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Morgan Blackthorne
stormerider@gmail.com wrote:

I’m hoping to dive into some unit tests and such this coming few weeks
and I
was wondering what resources I should look into. I have the TDD book by
Steven Nelson Smith, but that seems to be fairly cucumber specific.
Looking
to see what pages to bookmark and what to load up on my ereader for
research.

Thanks, and happy holidays to those who celebrate!

The 2nd edition of the TDD book is much less Cucumber-focused and goes
into Test Kitchen, Serverspec, and many other things. I’d recommend
that.

For unit testing specifically, everyone seems to be coalescing around
ChefSpec [3]. The README.md itself is a pretty good way to get
started. https://github.com/sethvargo/chefspec

Cheers, happy Thanksgiving, and don’t get injured at Black Friday!

  • Julian


[ Julian C. Dunn jdunn@aquezada.com * Sorry, I’m ]
[ WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian * only Web 1.0 ]
[ gopher://sdf.org/1/users/keymaker/ * compliant! ]
[ PGP: 91B3 7A9D 683C 7C16 715F 442C 6065 D533 FDC2 05B9 ]


#4

Yes, the 2nd ed. is much broader wrt tooling.

I also recommend looking into BATS [1]. It’s a test framework in Bash, so shell-bound operations and assertions are a breeze to code.

[1] https://github.com/sstephenson/bats

–Cassiano Leal
http://cassianoleal.com
http://twitter.com/cassianoleal

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 22:41, Morgan Blackthorne wrote:

Thanks, I have version 1… will need to pick up the new version, didn’t realize there had been an update.

As for Black Friday, I’ll be monitoring servers… far safer than risking life and limb out in the crowds :stuck_out_tongue:


~~ StormeRider ~~

“Every world needs its heroes […] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that’s just around the corner.”

(from Smallville Season 6x1: “Zod”)

On why I hate the phrase “that’s so lame”… http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com (mailto:jdunn@aquezada.com)> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Morgan Blackthorne
<stormerider@gmail.com (mailto:stormerider@gmail.com)> wrote:

I’m hoping to dive into some unit tests and such this coming few weeks and I
was wondering what resources I should look into. I have the TDD book by
Steven Nelson Smith, but that seems to be fairly cucumber specific. Looking
to see what pages to bookmark and what to load up on my ereader for
research.

Thanks, and happy holidays to those who celebrate!

The 2nd edition of the TDD book is much less Cucumber-focused and goes
into Test Kitchen, Serverspec, and many other things. I’d recommend
that.

For unit testing specifically, everyone seems to be coalescing around
ChefSpec [3]. The README.md (http://README.md) itself is a pretty good way to get
started. https://github.com/sethvargo/chefspec

Cheers, happy Thanksgiving, and don’t get injured at Black Friday!

  • Julian


[ Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com (mailto:jdunn@aquezada.com)> * Sorry, I’m ]
[ WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian * only Web 1.0 ]
[ gopher://sdf.org/1/users/keymaker/ (http://sdf.org/1/users/keymaker/) * compliant! ]
[ PGP: 91B3 7A9D 683C 7C16 715F 442C 6065 D533 FDC2 05B9 ]