Ohai Chef community!
I'm reaching out to the entire community on behalf of the cc-build team (we're the folks working on a free-as-in-beer distribution of the Chef software stack!) because we're getting to that place where we need to settle on names. Those following our efforts (come see us in #community-distros on the Chef community Slack!) will be familiar with our working titles:
- Project = cc-builds team (for "chef community builds")
- Chef Infra = CinC (recursive acronym for "CinC is not Chef")
- Inspec = Outspec
- Habitat = Biome
- Automate = Notomate
These names were always working titles, and additionally Chef has stated that "Outspec" and "Notomate" specifically would be too close for comfort, and could end up being challenged if used (see https://www.chef.io/trademark-policy/ for Chef's policy on Trademarks).
We'd like to get feedback on replacement names for both the project itself and the 4 major Chef product's gratis distribution we're working on. Do note that in addition to respecting Chef's policy, your proposals should take the following into consideration:
- There must be no doubt to someone who's first hearing about all this whether he/she's hearing of the community distros or the official Chef ones; Names must be phonetically very distinct, which is why "notomate" and "outspec" were rejected
- a github org must be available for the project's name
- puns must be in good taste
- It must steer clear of any potential trademark issues with other organizations
- Don't propose we name the project after the software, lessons learned from OpsCode
- that's all I can think of just now but I'll update this post if more concerns come up
Here's a list of relevant links, also to be updated:
We'll leave this post up for at least 2 weeks, then we'll make a poll somewhere to choose between the top names if there's no obvious "winner" in this thread.
We haven't been very active on discourse so I'll take a few more lines to add some basic info on the project:
- Our community org (a temporary setup): https://gitlab.com/cc-build
- We also host a wiki (also temp): https://gitlab.com/cc-build/organization-subjects/wikis/home
- Come see us in https://chefcommunity.slack.com/ #community-distros for the latest news or to get an invite to the org
- See also our PRs and issues VS repos in https://github.com/chef/