Upgrading from Chef 10 -> Chef 11

For those of you running Chef 10 and wondering what it takes to get the data over to Chef 11, wonder no more :slight_smile: This post on the Opscode Blog details how to do it using knife-essentials (knife download and upload).

Turn it to 11: Upgrading From Chef 10

--John

Thank you for posting this. I was actually trying to figure out how to
stand up a "cold" standby in another data center for my chef server. I'm
assuming this would work the same to backup chef11 to chef11?

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM, John Keiser jkeiser@opscode.com wrote:

For those of you running Chef 10 and wondering what it takes to get the
data over to Chef 11, wonder no more :slight_smile: This post on the Opscode Blog
details how to do it using knife-essentials (knife download and upload).

Turn it to 11: Upgrading From Chef 10 - Chef Blog | Chef

--John

--
Elvin Abordo
Mobile: (845) 475-8744

Yes, it absolutely should, except that's much simpler: just do step 3 to set up, and then "knife download /" will download everything for a backup, and "knife upload /" will upload everything to restore / copy everything.

The repository and target server doesn't have to be clean to do it, either: successive knife downloads and knife uploads will cause anything that has changed to be updated. Though in those cases, you should probably add --purge to the upload and download commands lines; this will cause it to clear out dead and deleted data.

--John

From: Elvin Abordo <elvin159@gmail.commailto:elvin159@gmail.com>
Reply-To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:53 PM
To: "chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com" <chef@lists.opscode.commailto:chef@lists.opscode.com>
Subject: [chef] Re: Upgrading from Chef 10 -> Chef 11

Thank you for posting this. I was actually trying to figure out how to stand up a "cold" standby in another data center for my chef server. I'm assuming this would work the same to backup chef11 to chef11?

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM, John Keiser <jkeiser@opscode.commailto:jkeiser@opscode.com> wrote:
For those of you running Chef 10 and wondering what it takes to get the data over to Chef 11, wonder no more :slight_smile: This post on the Opscode Blog details how to do it using knife-essentials (knife download and upload).

--John

--
Elvin Abordo
Mobile: (845) 475-8744

Thank you so much for posting that!

Just out of curiousity: will this also automatically deal with encrypted databags?

-----Original message-----
Sent:Wed 03-13-2013 12:45 pm
Subject:[chef] Upgrading from Chef 10 -> Chef 11
To:chef@lists.opscode.com;

--John