10.16.4 not available for chef-full bootstrap

Hey duders,

Just in case you forgot, 10.16.4 never got any omnibus love – which means standard knife bootstraps with it are pretty grumpy.

Of course you should be ignoring me and enjoying your holidays with your family, because computers are a silly thing to fret about in comparison. I’m just dropping this note for when you all get back from that.

For those of you playing the home game that can’t wait, if you need to deal with moneta+chef and need knife bootstrap this instant, open up a Gemfile and throw this in there:

gem ‘moneta’, '~> 0.6.0’
gem ‘chef’, ‘10.16.2’

then run bundle update and just prefix all knife invocations with bundle exec knife. the standard bootstrap (at least for debuntu) comes from .deb packages and is therefore immune to the moneta problem… sort of.

Have a happy holidays,

-Erik

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Erik Hollensbe wrote:

Hey duders,

Just in case you forgot, 10.16.4 never got any omnibus love -- which means standard knife bootstraps with it are pretty grumpy.
Can you share some details? If the problem is that the bootstrap is looking for version 10.16.4 of the omnibus package, you can workaround using the --bootstrap-version option.

Of course you should be ignoring me and enjoying your holidays with your family, because computers are a silly thing to fret about in comparison. I'm just dropping this note for when you all get back from that.
Yep, there were some issues with our magical omnibus build cluster and people had to head out before they could be addressed.

For those of you playing the home game that can't wait, if you need to deal with moneta+chef and need knife bootstrap this instant, open up a Gemfile and throw this in there:

gem 'moneta', '~> 0.6.0'
gem 'chef', '10.16.2'

then run bundle update and just prefix all knife invocations with bundle exec knife. the standard bootstrap (at least for debuntu) comes from .deb packages and is therefore immune to the moneta problem... sort of.
I think this will have the same effect as the --bootstrap-version option, since it defaults to the version of Chef you have. "10.16.2" will definitely work here, I think "latest" should also do the trick.

Have a happy holidays,

-Erik

--
Daniel DeLeo

-----Original message-----
Sent:Tue 12-25-2012 08:41 am
Subject:[chef] Re: 10.16.4 not available for chef-full bootstrap
To:chef@lists.opscode.com;

Hey duders,
Just in case you forgot, 10.16.4 never got any omnibus love – which means standard knife bootstraps with it are pretty grumpy.
Can you share some details? If the problem is that the bootstrap is looking for version 10.16.4 of the omnibus package, you can workaround using the --bootstrap-version option.
Instead of 10.16.4, omnibus will install 11.0.0 alpha. That’s a pretty substantial change.

Cookbooks that broke for me:

• ntp (bug report COOK-2124)

• nginx (I didn’t file a bug report for that one, since I am not familiar enough with it to make a meaningful one beyond “it doesn’t work”)

• A few of my own cookbooks broke, too.

It’s’ not unexpected for a new major release, and for that matter for an alpha release. But getting this version when you expect a minor incremental version was a bit of a surprise.

BTW, overall I like Chef 11, I think. The migration was actually not very difficult, it just came as an unplanned surprise.

On Dec 25, 2012, at 8:40 AM, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

Hey duders,

Just in case you forgot, 10.16.4 never got any omnibus love -- which means standard knife bootstraps with it are pretty grumpy.

Oh I just meant that it isn't available for installation. It wasn't a huge deal, just wanted to mention it really.

-Erik

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Kevin Keane (subscriptions)
subscription@kkeane.com wrote:

Instead of 10.16.4, omnibus will install 11.0.0 alpha. That's a pretty
substantial change.

That was a build system bug (actually a cascade of bugs) and the
'chef-10.16.2-522-g4f3ae72-1' packages have been removed.

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3726

The 10.16.4 Omnibus builds will be available as soon as we figure out
how to fix the build system.

Bryan