Chef 13 Announcement

Ohai!
Hopefully many of you saw our blog post announcing that Chef 13 will be released in April. Chef 13 is going to be the best version of Chef we’ve released, and I’d like to help you all get ready!

To give a brief summary:
The reason for Chef 13 is that it’s been 2 years since we released Chef 12, and cookbook authors deserve a base line that they can easily target.
Some code will be removed from Chef 13. In user facing cases, the chef client has been showing deprecation messages for some time, and we’ve published documentation of these.

Chef Server 12 will be fully compatible with Chef Client 13, and we have no plans currently to release Chef Server 13.

You can already configure Chef to treat deprecation warnings as errors. I would strongly recommend doing that in dev and integration environments - fixing deprecations will make your cookbooks safer and more reliable now, as well as ensuring that they work correctly come April.
We’re aware that some Chef owned community cookbooks still contain deprecation errors, and will be working to fix them as soon as possible.

What questions can I answer for you?

-Thom

1 Like