Chef-zero messed up

I was playing with chef provisioning using chef-zero for the first time (both). I decided to start fresh again, so blew away the repo that i created while playing with chef provisioning. Now, with a new repo, chef-zero have gone crazy. it still says starting chef-zero in the old file path (/home/okram/workspace/chefprov/chefprov). I have rm -rf 'ed this dir.

And this a part of the console error. How do i correct this chef-zero???

± |master ?:10 ✗| → chef-client -z
[2015-11-19T18:42:48-08:00] INFO: Started chef-zero at chefzero://localhost:8889 with repository at /home/okram/workspace/chefprov/chefprov
One version per cookbook

[2015-11-19T18:42:48-08:00] INFO: Forking chef instance to converge…
Starting Chef Client, version 12.5.1
[2015-11-19T18:42:48-08:00] INFO: *** Chef 12.5.1 ***
[2015-11-19T18:42:48-08:00] INFO: Chef-client pid: 15823
[2015-11-19T18:42:50-08:00] INFO: HTTP Request Returned 404 Not Found: Object not found: chefzero://localhost:8889/nodes/provisioner3
[2015-11-19T18:42:50-08:00] ERROR: #<Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory @ dir_s_mkdir - /home/okram/workspace/chefprov/chefprov/nodes>
/opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/chef-12.5.1/lib/chef/chef_fs/file_system/chef_repository_file_system_root_dir.rb:97:in mkdir' /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/chef-12.5.1/lib/chef/chef_fs/file_system/chef_repository_file_system_root_dir.rb:97:inblock in create_child’
/opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/chef-12.5.1/lib/chef/chef_fs/file_system/chef_repository_file_system_root_dir.rb:95:in each' /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/chef-12.5.1/lib/chef/chef_fs/file_system/chef_repository_file_system_root_dir.rb:95:increate_child’
/opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/chef-12.5.1/lib/chef/chef_fs/chef_fs_data_store.rb:469:in get_dir' /opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/2.1.0/gems/chef-12.5.1/lib/chef/chef_fs/chef_fs_data_store.rb:456:inwith_dir’

Do you have a client.rb file? That is where the location of your chef-zero repository would be specified. You can specify the location of the client.rb file with the -c option in chef-client, or else it uses the standard default locations.

Kevin Keane
The NetTech
http://www.4nettech.com
Our values: Privacy, Liberty, Justice
See https://www.4nettech.com/corp/the-nettech-values.html

i have a knife.rb and i added the absolute path for the cookbook.

log_level :info
current_dir = File.dirname(FILE)
node_name "provisioner"
client_key “#{current_dir}/dummy.pem"
validation_client_name “validator"
cookbook_path [”/home/provisioner/workspace/chefprov/cookbooks/berks-cookbooks”]

And this recovered from the error, but now i see multiple nodes folders in my chef-repo.

1. under the chefprov (the chef-repo)
  2. under the chefprov/cookbooks

This is the repo that i have. https://github.com/okram999/chefprov

I was following this https://christinemdraper.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/deploying-a-multi-node-application-to-aws-using-chef-provisioning/ to check out the chef provisioning. But this is becoming a ride

Another thing that i am still looking at is the local mode chef is not able to find the recipes

] ERROR: could not find recipe file /home/provisioner/workspace/chefprov/cookbooks/berks-cookbooks/start123/start123::aws-setup

Any idea?

Niristotle,

The blog is using individual provisioning recipe files located in the
chef-repo root, as a basic getting started. You quite reasonably want to
put them in a cookbook. When you do this, though, you’ll need to invoke
provisioning using:

chef-client -z -r “start123::aws-setup”

and when you want to run multiple recipes:

chef-client -z -r “start123::aws-setup, start123::topo”

This works for me using your repo. The -r option sets the runlist of your
local provisioning node, so once you have it containing the recipes you
want, you can actually rerun it just by running