IBM Biginsights 3.0 silent installation using Chef is failing

I am doing silent installation of Biginsights 3.0 using Chef. Strange thing is
that if I invoke the installation without Chef recipe i.e manually
"./silent-install.sh install.xml" it works fine. But when I invoke it through
Chef recipe , it fails. It does not install bigsql1,sheets and due that it
fails. I am pasting the error. It is not getting required files as bigsql1
installation is not completing successfully.

[ERROR] DeployManager - bigsql1 failed
com.ibm.xap.mgmt.ConfigurationException: initialize failed because
/opt/ibm/biginsights/hdm/components/bigsql1/binary/bigsql1-dist.tar.gz is not
found
at
com.ibm.xap.mgmt.bigsql.BigSQL1Deployer.installInitialize(BigSQL1Deployer.java:73)
at
com.ibm.xap.mgmt.DeployManager$InstallThread.doInstall(DeployManager.java:2760)
at
com.ibm.xap.mgmt.DeployManager$InstallThread.work(DeployManager.java:2818)
at com.ibm.xap.mgmt.DeployManager$WorkerThread.run(DeployManager.java:2725)

Any help will be appreciated. I am sure somewhere Chef is failing to invoke
bigsql1 install script and most probably it is terminal issue.

Here is my recipe code

bash “BI3.0” do
user "biadmin"
group “biadmin"
cwd
”/home/biadmin/biginsights-3.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT-enterprise-production-Linux-amd64-b20140711_1047/silent-install"
code <<-EOH
sh silent-install.sh BI30.xml 2>&1 >> /tmp/console.out
EOH
end

Please don't double-ask when you know people are answering you on StackOverflow already. Anyone that wants to answer, java - Biginsights 3.0 silent installation using Chef - Stack Overflow is the SO thread.

--Noah

On Nov 20, 2014, at 9:42 PM, vinod_patil@persistent.co.in vinod_patil@persistent.co.in wrote:

I am doing silent installation of Biginsights 3.0 using Chef. Strange thing is
that if I invoke the installation without Chef recipe i.e manually
"./silent-install.sh install.xml" it works fine. But when I invoke it through
Chef recipe , it fails. It does not install bigsql1,sheets and due that it
fails. I am pasting the error. It is not getting required files as bigsql1
installation is not completing successfully.

[ERROR] DeployManager - bigsql1 failed
com.ibm.xap.mgmt.ConfigurationException: initialize failed because
/opt/ibm/biginsights/hdm/components/bigsql1/binary/bigsql1-dist.tar.gz is not
found
at
com.ibm.xap.mgmt.bigsql.BigSQL1Deployer.installInitialize(BigSQL1Deployer.java:73)
at
com.ibm.xap.mgmt.DeployManager$InstallThread.doInstall(DeployManager.java:2760)
at
com.ibm.xap.mgmt.DeployManager$InstallThread.work(DeployManager.java:2818)
at com.ibm.xap.mgmt.DeployManager$WorkerThread.run(DeployManager.java:2725)

Any help will be appreciated. I am sure somewhere Chef is failing to invoke
bigsql1 install script and most probably it is terminal issue.

Here is my recipe code

bash "BI3.0" do
user "biadmin"
group "biadmin"
cwd
"/home/biadmin/biginsights-3.0.0.1-SNAPSHOT-enterprise-production-Linux-amd64-b20140711_1047/silent-install"
code <<-EOH
sh silent-install.sh BI30.xml 2>&1 >> /tmp/console.out
EOH
end

On Nov 20, 2014, at 11:45 PM, Noah Kantrowitz noah@coderanger.net wrote:

Please don't double-ask when you know people are answering you on StackOverflow already.

Hmm. That brings up a good question. IMO, it is reasonable to assume that there would be a lot of overlap between those communities, but I think it is also reasonable to assume that there might be a fair number of people who are in one group or the other but not both.

So, what would be the appropriate netiquette be for the case where you do want to tap into both groups, without being excessively annoying with your double-post?

Would it be okay to post the question on SO, and then come here and reference that post, but not try to include a lot of details on this list? Or would it be better to post here first, and then reference that post in your question on SO?

Inquiring minds want to know! :wink:

--
Brad Knowles brad@shub-internet.org
LinkedIn Profile: http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu

On Nov 20, 2014, at 10:02 PM, Brad Knowles brad@shub-internet.org wrote:

Please don't double-ask when you know people are answering you on StackOverflow already.

Hmm. That brings up a good question. IMO, it is reasonable to assume that there would be a lot of overlap between those communities, but I think it is also reasonable to assume that there might be a fair number of people who are in one group or the other but not both.

So, what would be the appropriate netiquette be for the case where you do want to tap into both groups, without being excessively annoying with your double-post?

Would it be okay to post the question on SO, and then come here and reference that post, but not try to include a lot of details on this list? Or would it be better to post here first, and then reference that post in your question on SO?

I will admit I'm possibly the only person that actively monitors all three of IRC, SO, and the mailing list. My issue is generally with splitting the effort of the community to answer a question. Getting 2x (or 3x) the number of people answering when others are already spending the time and effort to do so is not cool in my book. If you ask on one channel and no one responds then by all means move on to another, but cross-posting when someone is already engaged with helping you is disrespectful of their time IMO.

--Noah

Le 2014-11-21 07:08, Noah Kantrowitz a écrit :

On Nov 20, 2014, at 11:45 PM, Noah Kantrowitz noah@coderanger.net wrote: Please don't double-ask when you know people are answering you on StackOverflow already. Hmm. That brings up a good question. IMO, it is reasonable to assume that there would be a lot of overlap between those communities, but I think it is also reasonable to assume that there might be a fair number of people who are in one group or the other but not both. So, what would be the appropriate netiquette be for the case where you do want to tap into both groups, without being excessively annoying with your double-post? Would it be okay to post the question on SO, and then come here and reference that post, but not try to include a lot of details on this list? Or would it be better to post here first, and then reference that post in your question on SO? Inquiring minds want to know! :wink:

I will admit I'm possibly the only person that actively monitors all
three of IRC, SO, and the mailing list. My issue is generally with
splitting the effort of the community to answer a question. Getting 2x
(or 3x) the number of people answering when others are already spending
the time and effort to do so is not cool in my book. If you ask on one
channel and no one responds then by all means move on to another, but
cross-posting when someone is already engaged with helping you is
disrespectful of their time IMO.

--Noah

My 2cts, I agree with Noah.

For the path to follow I would vote for SO first and then (if no moves
on SO) referencing it here;

Because its easiest to show recipes/code and output on SO than here, I
admit I had redirect people from SO to IRC or here because of some
generic questions which are off topic for SO...

Referencing a mail thread on SO sounds bad too me, but it's just a
feeling.

Personally, I think StackOverflow is a better repository for the question than a mailing list. So I would ask it on SO first and then cross post to this list with a link to SO. No one wants to get am email that is just a link to SO, so I think it is fine to include the text of your question in the email. It should be prefaced with ‘I asked this on StackOverflow and I’m cross posting here to get more feedback - please answer on SO’.

-T

--
Brad Knowles brad@shub-internet.org
LinkedIn Profile: http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu