Installing berks on centos

Hi All,

I am trying to install berks on centos using command:

[root@ip~]#gem install berkshelf --no-ri --no-rdoc

After installing I have verified whether berks have been installed using the command:

[root@ip~]# berks -v
-bash: berks: command not found

Also I would like to tell you that I am using ruby that comes shipped with Chef. I have not installed ruby explicitly on system.

I would like to know how to install berks on centos.

Any lead in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Jyoti Bhanot

But I have already set up the environment; I just want to install the berks on workstation.

How to do that ?

Thanks & Regards,
Jyoti Bhanot

Sent: 30 June 2014 13:54
To: chef@lists.opscode.com
Subject: [chef] Re: Installing berks on centos

Hi!

S’està citant “Bhanot, Jyoti” <Jyoti.Bhanot@netapp.commailto:Jyoti.Bhanot@netapp.com>:
Hi All,
I am trying to install berks on centos using command:

Perhaps you would be better off installing everything you need with ChefDK:
http://www.getchef.com/downloads/chef-dk/linux/
Cheers,
David Gil

[root@ip~]#gem install berkshelf --no-ri --no-rdoc
After installing I have verified whether berks have been installed using the command:
[root@ip~]# berks -v
-bash: berks: command not found
Also I would like to tell you that I am using ruby that comes shipped with Chef. I have not installed ruby explicitly on system.
I would like to know how to install berks on centos.
Any lead in this regard would be highly appreciated.
Thanks & Regards,
Jyoti Bhanot

David Gil Oliva
Informàtic
Delegació Territorial de l’AEMET a Catalunya
93 221 14 75

On Monday, June 30, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Bhanot, Jyoti wrote:

But I have already set up the environment; I just want to install the berks on workstation.

How to do that ?

Using ChefDK will be much simpler to manage, as it comes with berks already installed and has some configuration tweaks to ruby gems to make it much easier to install gems to the bundled ruby installation.

That said, if you really just want to use the chef-client package for whatever reason, you should probably add /opt/chef/embedded/bin to your PATH, as this is where gem executables will be installed to.

--
Daniel DeLeo

Please refrain from cross-posting your question in multiple places (here, StackOverflow, etc). I understand that you want to get the quickest answer to your question, but it is helpful to have the "answer" in a single location.

Thanks,
Seth

On Jun 30, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Daniel DeLeo dan@kallistec.com wrote:

On Monday, June 30, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Bhanot, Jyoti wrote:

How to do that ?

Using ChefDK will be much simpler to manage, as it comes with berks already installed and has some configuration tweaks to ruby gems to make it much easier to install gems to the bundled ruby installation.

That said, if you really just want to use the chef-client package for whatever reason, you should probably add /opt/chef/embedded/bin to your PATH, as this is where gem executables will be installed to.

--
Daniel DeLeo