Chef master has recently received a major merge of knife-essentials commands (knife diff / download / upload / list / show / delete / edit / xargs / deps / raw) which will make their way into 11.6.0. The highlights include:
- Vastly improved performance for download/upload/diff
- Can view all data by default (inc. nodes, clients, etc.)
- New knife deps, knife edit and knife xargs commands
- Better UI, better error reporting, and stability
- An rspec framework to easily test knife commands using chef-zero
Full notes can be found at https://gist.github.com/jkeiser/5761426 .
If you’d like to use these right now, you can get all of these changes early by installing knife-essentials (gem install knife-essentials). Please file issues at https://github.com/jkeiser/knife-essentials if you see anything that doesn’t do what you want (The knife serve and knife converge commands are not part of this merge; you still need to gem install knife-essentials to get them.)